Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I started sewing in the 1970's when we sewed for the family as it was all we could afford and quilts were made out of the scraps, we had some wonderful fabric store around then too plus all sores sold fabric including Penny's, Wards, Sears, Ben Franklin and others then quilting became very popular and turned into a big money thing with designer fabrics and quilt stores opened to sell these designer fabrics and they were not supplied to the box stores so they eventually quit selling fabric and today at least around here Joanns is the only one left and oh yes WalMart and quilting like everything else has really changed, it is a very big money business now. years ago hobbies were for stay at home moms now they are the people that cannot afford to sew. The world has really changed I do not even go to quilt shows anymore as I refuse to pay 5 or 10 dollars to see what a computer can do.
YES! I just saw somewhere (sorry not to have the reference) that quilting is a multi-BILLION dollar business these days. As long as people buy, the prices will stay high. Most craft/hobby interests change after awhile as people find new, less costly ways to enjoy their spare time.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:00 PM

I love garment sewing and not only are fashion fabrics expensive, what you want can be hard to find. I love knits and finding the right weight and drape in the right color can be a challenge. I've found making my own clothes isn't always cheaper than buying. However, I have complete creative control on everything from fit to style and I end up with something no one else has. The same is true for quilting. A one of kind piece of art that is more than the sum of it's parts. That being said, I don't think I could ever buy fabric for more than $15 a yard for any project.

Dodie - Thanks for reminding me about fabric and Ben Franklin! I bought the fabric for my first sewing project there. I was 8 and while I made a skirt and vest, I'm sure it was quilting cotton. Ah, memories!
Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM

$59/yd for cotton does sound too much! Around here we pay (not on sale) about $10-11(sometimes more for batiks)/yd at LQS and obviously sometimes less at JoAnne's or Walmart. But like others have said, think most hobbies are expensive. When I was shooting lots of photos on film it cost a fortune as I didn't develop my own, then bought digital, but paid twice the price for the camera, and of course needed an update to computer and printer. Other art is also very expensive. My son and DIL create household items and decor with used car parts--which between the scrap parts, welding tools and supplies, etc it's even expensive.
thankfully there are lots of ways to cut the costs!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM

Another way to make it less expensive is to choose to make a more time consuming pattern like one of Bonnie Hunter's or some of the beautiful applique. I love almost all quilts but if I was trying to make it less expensive, I wouldn't be doing small quick quilts.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

i buy everything mostly on sale or with coupons if you have joanns in your area get on their mailing list for coupons.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 PM

This may sound horrible, but I am glad that a girlfriend got upset with me. The reason is a long story, but the short version is I had pinched pennies and had gotten tickets for her birthday the first of February for a quilt expo in late May. From time to time, I would remind her of the date of the expo. About 2 weeks before the expo, she was yakking away on the phone and told me how she and her cousin were going to this quilt expo and had signed up for classes. Anyway, I sent her the tickets and told her I was so upset, I couldn't talk. She really got upset with me because she got mixed up and thought I bought tickets for the fall expo. I told her to go and enjoy herself and use the tickets.

There have been many days since, I have been thankful because she is not calling me and wanting me to go to quilt shop hop or just go on a FART (Fabric Acquisition Road Trip). I just don't have the kind of money she has available since I retired. It doesn't bother her to pay top prices for fabrics. For example, she was doing the Grand Illusion mystery and her fabrics all came from a certain collection in colors similar to Bonnie Hunters. But her quilt would all look great because the fabrics were all in a collection. I just don't feel like I fit in with her. In fact two months ago, I had a whole $5.29 left in my checking account for three days. I have plenty of fabric in my stash, I go to thrift stores, garage and estate sales, and use coupons. I love sewing on a Singer 301 that I found on Craigslist. My "expensive" machine was bought at an auction for $140 about 15 years ago. A lady had to move into a nursing home and it was brand new and she had paid close a thousand for it.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Quilting is not a cheap hobby,but most hobbies aren't cheap. One place that I have bought items for sewing is my local hardware store. At a sewing store a suction cup handle to put on rulers to hold them securely was 3 to 4 times more money than the same type of item was in a auto repair store. The sewing store handle was a prettier color than the bright orange one that I bought at the auto store,but it does the exact same thing. That's just one example. Whenever I go to a hardware,auto repair store I always think outside the box and look for items that help with sewing. It's amazing what you can find.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 AM

Back in the day......................early 70's, I paid $27/yd for a gorgeous plaid wool to make a suit. No, don't have it anymore, but if I did, I would salvage the wool!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:46 AM

But ya know, a lot of hobbies are a lot more expensive. I feel as long as one's children are getting fed and the bills are being paid, enjoy quilting and spend reasonably in order to have a good time!
Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 AM

One of my favorite online stores is : www.thousandsofbolts.com