Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? >

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 AM

Down here in South Louisiana, we run the central a/c plus at night, two window units. Also have ceiling fans going in most rooms. It's only been in the nineties to 100 but the humidity is awful. We've been getting rain daily for quite a while. More coming. (Also very little cooking going on!)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

This is the worse summer for heat I have felt in the 10 years I have loved in SC. It is in the high 90s to low hundreds every day with a heat index of 110 t0 120. It is almost too hot to do anything. Please hurry winter..
Old 07-31-2016, 04:45 PM

Default too hot

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
We have had over a hundred degrees this whole week and even with the air conditioning it is too hot by late morning to sew in my room upstairs. I do go up while it is somewhat cool, but that is all. I also have had a problem with my hand/arm and been wearing a brace, so that doesn't help either.
I know how you feel. When it is too hot who can stand to sew? I am thinking of trying to sew downstairs, but, I hate to clean up every time I quit for the day. So, I am not so sure that is the answer.

Come on fall!
I know what you mean. I am in Fallon, Nv and it's been 108 --Thank God for the swamp cooler!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** In upstate South Carolina today we are 95 degrees with heat index of 103.
*** And still climbing.
*** A/C has not turned off since 10 AM - running non-stop.
But are you quilting/sewing/moving at all? I come home from work take cold shower,move fabric around,one piece to another area. So when I know I want to start the project it is ready lol. And the I have my silk nightgown on and place myself delicately on the couch and wait for a breeze,and think of what I can do with my fabric that I just moved from one place to my cutting table. No a/c here. Just waiting for a cool breeze. Oh and dinner is usually cold chicken,tuna,agg salad , yum mm .
Old 08-09-2016, 04:55 AM

When my son took Kenpo Karate (a street fighting form of TaeKwonDo), his sensi used to keep the dojo hot on purpose. He said that heat made people angry and temperamental, and that made them aggressive.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:12 PM

I don't have ac either -- I do find that having a fan on in my room so I get a breeze helps a lot!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Those in hot climates why choose not to have AC? Window units are very inexpensive now and use very little power. I remember window units were big, heavy, monsters. Just like the old box tvs. Not any more.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-09-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
We've had hot, humid days here in Michigan for the past while. Luckily, we have central air but I remember one house that did not have central air. It was horrid and what took the cake is DH, at that time, was gm of a heating, ac & Hvac company. We lived there several years without ac. He was home (he'd pulled a muscle and couldn't really walk) and it was 95 by 9:30 in the morning. Moisture was wicking up the legs of the dinning room chairs from the carpet because the humidity was so high. He checked at work & there was a lull - we had central ac running by 5 that evening. I wouldn't be quilting here without ac.
Funny story!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:47 PM

I have been knitting a little with cotton yarn - mostly washcloths. It is supposed to be 95 degrees up here in wesrern Maine on Thursday which is really hot for this area. Thankfully, we are on a lake. No a.c. here since usually it's not that bad and we can get by with a ceiling fan and box fans.
Can't even imagine how hot some of you are in other parts of the country. Stay cool if you can.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by glassbird View Post
Another NH quilter here! Rochester area...I have been quilting, and sweating, and quilting some more. But I QAYG, so it's not like I am under any of it. I keep telling myself that it will be winter soon enough, and we will all be complaining about how cold it is.

I do feel badly for the youngest two of my three cats...they are October babies and they have never lived through hot weather before. They both have heavy coats and generally they are just sprawled on the sort-of-cool tile in a center hall of my house. They look stunned sometimes.
Glassbird,
There's a quilt shop near you that I'd love to get down to. I've been trying to figure out how to accomplish that. We are in Maine, half an hour from North Conway so it would be a haul for me.
lots2do