Hummingbird feeder

Old 08-16-2016, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I have them outside my dinning area and we watch them while we eat; I refill mine every three days as it sours and will make them sick. I make mine with just hot water one measure of sugar to four measures of hot water and stir until it is clear. They usually drain it in three days but if not I change it. They are so much fun to watch.Mine come the second week of March and leave the second week of October.
I've always made my own, too, but always worried about it turning sour when it is so hot outside. Last year, I found this product called Nectar Defender that helps prevent spoilage. It isn't cheap but I appreciate not having to change it out every couple of days. You can read about it here and it's available at any number of places on line. I bought it at my local bird store.
http://sapphirelabs.com/nectardefend...endersafe.html
Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I am interested in the ant contraption- we just put a little bit of water in the top of the feeders that have a small indention on the top.
It's about time to refill, so I will take a picture of the "contraption" and post it. I have some feeders that do not have the indention on the top so really had a problem with ants until DH came up with his "contraption".
Old 08-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Default hummingbird feeder

Hope you can see the "contraption". It is made of a 2x2 board upon which he bolted and caulked two plastic bowls, one at each end. The bowls hold the water to keep the ants away from the sugar water. The Board is suspended with plastic chains hung under our deck. Attached under the board are 5 screws with hooks from which more plastic chain is hung; one for each feeder. At the ends of the board he attached some weights, but I don't know if they were really necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5563.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	643.4 KB
ID:	556043  
Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Oh how I love those little birds! I have 5 feeders hanging outside the basement window. DH made a contraption that keeps the ants from getting to the feeders, but we have not found anything to keep the wasps and yellow jackets away. I make a half gallon of sugar water every day and fill the feeders daily. I never need to pour any out, those little guys drink every bit of it! I have countered as many as 30 at a time at the feeders, but 2 years ago I was feeding a gallon of sugar water a day so not as many this year. Needless to say, I stock up when sugar goes on sale for less than $2 per 4 pound bag.
I bought one of those glass traps open at the bottom that you put a little of the sugar water in and they crawl in and can't get out. I had a very bad problem and it stopped it as they always go to that. I do have to clean it out often as it fills up fast.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM

We have six feeders and use about 30 pounds of cane sugar amonth. They never go a full day without needing filling at least once. The hummingbirds are here year around and the orioles are here from the middle April tolast August. The migrating humming birds come through a few times a year andput on quite a show, competing with the locals. A pair of orioles came aboutfour years ago and nested here. Now we have at least six pair feeding here. Theorioles prefer the humming bird feeders and humming birds use both types offeeders.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:41 PM

How wonderful! I too have my feeder outside my sewing room. May you enjoy many hours of bird watching :-)
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Just wonderful to watch them flutter around. I too have a family that argues over three feeders. Enjoy them.
peace
Old 08-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

I can't feed the birds, or hummingbirds any longer. The raccoons, opossums and a groundhog come into the fenced yard. The raccoons try to get into everything. We have special squirrel proof feeders hanging from a 4x4 post. They climb the pole and try to get the feeder down. My Husband wrapped bungee cords around to keep them hanging. Hummingbird feeder was torn down. I just gave up when I saw four raccoon babies playing in the yard.
I have a rose bush and rose or sharon bushes blooming, hummers like those flowers so I still get to see them.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:21 AM

I love those glass quilt squares!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:54 AM

I have 14 feeders out and refill them constantly, but I love it! I seem to have more birds each year.