Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Appilque Please.. >

Help with Appilque Please..

Help with Appilque Please..

Old 08-18-2016, 06:26 PM

It takes a little practice and experimentation, but there is a way to turn at the point so that a stitch doesn't extend into the background. There is a blanket stitch tutorial that helped me. I googled to find it, don't have a link. I think your stitches look really nice. I prefer the blanket stitch to a straight stitch. The straight stitch part of the blanket stitch should be just on the outside edge of the applique, barely on the background.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 PM

When I started hand applique I scoured Youtube for examples and techniques....if you are a visual learning (like me) it sometime means you get that Aha! moment sooner. Pretty blocks would love to see the finish.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 PM

As you get out toward the tips of the blades, you need to shorten your stitch length. That will make the stitches both shorter & closer together. It's a multi-step turn when you get to the tip.

As your stitch length gets shorter, you want to end along the outside edge of your applique point right at the tip. If you're really good about landing right at the tip, you can take a vertical stitch that has almost no length (or literally just set your stitch length to "0" and take a stitch in place if you can't get it to line up) before completing the turn & taking your next stitch, which will be horizontal along the opposite outside edge.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556202[/ATTACH]

The bottom of your vertical stitch & the entire length of your horizontal stitch should be entirely on the background fabric, next to the applique; that's what secures the edge.

As for the thread, a pale grey 100% cotton 50wt thread would work better. At JAF, I'd buy 100% cotton Gutermann thread. The mono thread they sell at craft stores is not something I would recommend. It does not launder well (speaking from experience). It will last for a while, but eventually you will be re-quilting almost the entire thing. If you want to spend the money buying YLI mono from a quilt shop or online, it is much nicer, but I really think you'll find a pale grey cotton thread will be easier to sew with & will not show nearly as much as the fuzzy black thread you have on there now. I would not go with white for the blades. It will show up almost as much as the black. I don't know why on earth so many places recommend beginners work with monofilament thread. It is one of the most difficult fibers I've ever worked with -- even using high quality mono. Yes, it's invisible, but there are a whole bunch of things you need to know about your bobbins, your machine speed, thread run, needle size/type, thread conditioner & so forth in order to get it to behave as nicely as cotton. It's a very temperamental thread.

Gail is right, sewing with a zig-zag stitch would be much more forgiving than a blanket stitch & more secure than a straight stitch. If you keep practicing, you will definitely learn the blanket stitch. Honestly, you're pretty close right now. You just need to get the vertical stitch to land on the outside of the applique (on the background), rather than on the applique. And you need to practice the turns. Some people don't shorten the stitch length like I do. They just end up with overlapping stitches -- nothing wrong with that.

Good luck & happy quilting!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	turn.png
Views:	293
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	556202  

Last edited by Bree123; 08-18-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM

I kind of like your black thread on the dresden plate because it has a homey, primitive look about it. But I do understand how you could be wanting a different style. I agree--pale grey would blend well with all the fabrics and not show every woopsie like black does. When I first started, I used monofilament because I wanted invisible stitches. Got so frustrated with all the breaking of needles and tension problems that I really thought I was the problem. Use 100% machine quilting thread (it should say that on the label--not hand quilting as it's thicker). You are your own worst critic. Please be kind to yourself and accept that you're a beginner and that you will only get better with practice. Enjoy your accomplishments as you go--don't always be comparing to other people or it'll kill your joy. When you get to the point on your applique, put your needle down, then pivot the fabric to where you need it. Make some practice diamonds so that you can practice those pivot points before you go back to your dresden. The confidence comes from knowing you are just practicing and not "messing up" your "good" quilt. You'll get the hang of it. I promise. We ALL promise.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

It just takes some practicing. Are you using a walking foot?? When you get to a point, you have to slow down and do one stitch at a time working to be at the point as shown in the drawing that Bree 123 did. I don't know how you got the one stitch on the outside. I would draw your Dresden outline on white fabric and trying getting your stitches constant. Have you looked for a u-tube video??
Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Blanket stitch is tricky, but also fun and adds a great ending to those plates. Whenever I do Blanket stitch I first do on a scrap to make sure it's the size of bite and space between I want- when reached, write it down! Then start on a straightaway, and do the rhythm of the stitch in my head-"1,2,3, over". Or whatever yours is.....needle down....if I'm getting to a curve or corner I really watch where that "over" is going to land..if not where I want it I either hold back so fab cannot be fed, or as Bree suggested, change your settings(reason to write down, initially). It is not difficult, but you must not speed thru this...after awhile, it becomes a second nature.....But I would practice on some drawn designs first, just to get to " know" your blanket stitch.......I don't suggest a walking foot, but your metal open toe foot is best....no incumbrances, you see exactly where you are!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I don't know how you got the one stitch on the outside.
It happens one of two ways.
1. At least one of them is because of not rotating soon enough. The last horizontal stitch ran across the opposite side & then the vertical stitch extends out past the tip before you rotate the quilt to line up the stitches down the other side.
2. If you rotate counterclockwise rather than clockwise to line up the opposite side, you'll also end up with that stitch that sticks out past the point. In that case, it's the horizontal stitch that creates the errant stitch.

To properly form the blanket stitches, your stitch line is moving counterclockwise around the blades, but your fabric should be rotating clockwise.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone, I to like the looks of the black thread as I think it make the quilt look like a older quilt or ones made years ago.. This is a great idea to practice on a scrap piece of fabric, and I like the suggestion about drawing a diamond and try going around it.. I just have such a hard time going around the points, but I will do some practice pieces.., I will be glad when this quilt is done, I made a few more plates and now have 56 done, so that is a lot to appliqué when you don't know what your doing.. Thank you
Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 AM

Jane, you will"get it" when you have practiced more. You need muscle memory as well as brain memory to remember which way to turn the item, like a petal. Remember you are learning a new skill. I thought I would NEVER learn needle turn applique, but it does come, eventually. Good luck and let us see your progress.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 AM

Being a beginner, I would suggest you use a thread that blends a bit more than the background. Perhaps use a cream or taupe color. The 'invisible' thread is strong - it is a nylon (like very fine fishing line). It comes in a clear-clear and a dark-clear. I think you would be much happier with your blanket stitch if it was the lighter colored thread. Also, on a scrap piece try using a zigzag just to see if that is easier for you. The goal is to finish it and be happy. Things will get easier and your stitches will get better with practice. Quilters can be so hard on themselves. Your dresdens look wonderful. Maybe you should go have a glass of wine, take a few deep breaths, revel in how nice your dresdens look and then go back to attaching them. Almost every one of us has a UFO that we will never finish because it stopped being fun and became work and we just can't get excited about spending time on it!