Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm straight line quilting information >

Longarm straight line quilting information

Longarm straight line quilting information

Old 08-19-2016, 04:34 PM

I love ruler work! Although I admit it's a slower process and you have to practice (and some rulers are just easier than others!) Several of the national level quilters have their own ruler lines--check out Dusty Farrell, Deloa Jones, Jamie Wallen, Linda Taylor, Kim Brunner--all have websites and all have youtube tutorials on-line. Like Feline Fanatic says, you do still need to mark registration marks to get the precision you are striving for. I don't like using channel locks for my straight lines simple because they do not adjust for the quilt that may need a little nudging! Kim Brunner has a great video on the HandiQuilter or APQS website on getting the quilt squared and ready for ruler work.
One tip from an owner of too many rulers!: pick ones that fit your hands! too long rulers tend to slip more and no amount of "stick-um" really solves the problems!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone! I have signed up for the Kimmy Brunner class and am looking forward to practicing when I get my rulers!!!! I definitely have enough to practice on.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 PM

I have an HQ. It does have channel locks. I also have straight rulers from HQ. With each HQ ruler there is a collection of different designs possible. I think HQ has some DVD's.
Remember straight line quilting can have a wide variety of patterns. You can use graph paper or plain paper with your regular rulers to practice different patterns.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM

My two favorite inspirational quilters for ruler work are Judi Madsen (http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/) and Lisa Calle (https://www.lisahcalle.com/). One of my all-time favorites of Judi's she did way back in early 2012 (here's the link: http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...1_archive.html ). Any time I'm stumped for inspiration, I go to her blog.
Lisa Calle has some awesome rulers (Quilters Groove) that I use all the time. They make cross-hatching and curved cross-hatching easy-peasy. Her DVD's are pretty awesome as well.

Customer service from both of them is outstanding.