Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer round top portable case >

Singer round top portable case

Singer round top portable case

Old 09-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Singer round top portable case

I have found one of the round top wooden portable Singer cases. What are these called? I am new to the antique scene. This one is in excellent shape except for the clear coat, its crackled in some areas. No damage to the case itself.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Banned

It's called a bent wood case. They came in different sizes depending on which machine was going in it.

Cari
Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Multiple styles of keys. If the cut out on the right of the bottom is open, it is a place for tools and accessories. It it has electrical stuff it is prolly for a 99.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 AM

In a dome lidded case it could be any of the older cast iron machines, setup with motor and lights or hand crank. Don't lift or carry it only holding the handle on top, that's way too risky. It's meant to be held from the base, there's grooves for the hands at the base of each side. It's easier on your back too. The 3/4 size cases are easier than the full size machines, but they are all on the heavy side. I like the wooden cases, they shine up nicely with some type of furniture polish.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:29 AM

I have a Singer 15-91 in one of those cases, and always thought that was called a coffin-top. The sales slip for mine is from Sears, Seattle, WA, dated 1937. I believe there are newer ones, chinese origin, that are copies of vintage Singers. You are right to caution about not carrying by the handle on top, even when locked the top moves around too much. I am thinking about putting a luggage strap on it.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I have a Singer 15-91 in one of those cases, and always thought that was called a coffin-top. The sales slip for mine is from Sears, Seattle, WA, dated 1937. I believe there are newer ones, chinese origin, that are copies of vintage Singers. You are right to caution about not carrying by the handle on top, even when locked the top moves around too much. I am thinking about putting a luggage strap on it.
The coffin top cases are rectangular - like the shape of a coffin. I love the bent wood cases and have several machines using these. I'm not sure but I think the coffin case is only on non-portable machines.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 AM

I'm not quite sure about Singer, but the very old portables came with rectangular tops. I think this is a Gritzner. I didn't know they were called coffin tops though. ...on the macabre side