Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gadgets 2016 >
  • Gadgets 2016

• Gadgets 2016

Old 09-01-2016, 02:19 PM

June Tailor shape cut and Bloc-Loc ruler (6.5").
    Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Save .28 a day and you will have the cost plus shipping in one year. I break down the price of something I want (not need) into daily cost and then decide how many years I can expect it to have value to me once paid for. It works for me. I broke down the price of a new top of the line sewing machine. Not enough value there at all. So I bought a less expensive one and feel good about it.

LOL Onebyone, that's what I did too and ended up with a very nice machine (PC420PRW) that I got off Amazon for under $400 including shipping. I figured that if it only lasted 3 years and I had to buy another one I could do that 10 times and I'd still be spending less than the TOL machines I was looking at, that's 30 years of sewing and getting a new machine every 3 years--Of course, the PC420 has already lasted longer than the original 3 years! I use it for the decorative stitching on my art quilts, and also for basic sewing.

My new favorite toy for 2016 is the used PQ1500s that I got this past Feb. when I decided I was tired of shoving big quilts through the smaller throat of my vintage VX560. I love it, that extra couple of inches makes it a lot more comfortable to quilt bigger quilts, esp. when I'm doing ruler work.

Rob <object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
    Old 09-02-2016, 06:07 PM

I took one of those little finger lights and taped it on my sewing machine to give me a nice little spotlight on the needle area of my sewing machine bed. It cost me less than $2 and the battery can be changed out. Much better than the pricey bendable bright light I bought eons ago.
    Old 09-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I go to a lot of retreats and classes and the chairs are never that great. I bought the Gypsy Sit Upon. No more sore tail bone or back. I use it for my sewing chair at home too. It looks like a deflated ball but it's magic for me.
    . Based on your recc I picked one up yesterday!!! I'm a bit hefty so we'll see how this works out! Lol
    Old 09-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94
    wonder clips are my newest gadget. I am making a fleece/minkee lap quilt for my granddaughters. I clipped two of the sides together so I could cut the minkee to size to match the fleece size. It's the hairy minky that loves to unravel and shed when cut. Those wonder clips are tight and small enough that they aren't interfering with anything! I am very pleased with them.

And now I need to hit the hardwear store for a headlamp, led lights for the sewing machines, sit upon, etc. Thanks for the reviews! and thank you for this thread Neuras!
    Youre quite welcome! Love reading all these posts! Let's Keep it going!!
    Old 09-04-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond
    A visit to my LQS last Saturday resulted in the purchase of the best cutting ruler I have used to date.
    Quilters Select - the back side is coated with a smooth but grippy surface and it will not slide on the fabric at all!
    I also bought the Quilters Select cutting board - it has a dark side and a light side that will help my aging eyesight.
    quiltersselect.com - I think she said it was by Alex Anderson?
    I have 2 of these mats on my cutting station and I love them! The light and dark are great for various colored fabrics, but numbering the inch marks both ways is GREAT for this lefty!
    Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Anyone here like/use the needle gripper pliers?
    Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Neuras
    What are your latest & greatest new gadgets for your quilting adventures?? Let's have fun: maybe not new to you but the purple chain cutting gizmo... Love it!
    thanks for the recommendation. I ordered one from Missouri star quilt shop today.
    Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Ok update on the sitting gizmo, I keep falling off & tilting... I'm no light weight, what am I doing wrong? Yes, I need help sitting...lol