Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
favorite cutting mat >

favorite cutting mat

favorite cutting mat

Old 09-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by materials witness View Post
Have you tried going to Arizona and laying it flat in your car for the day?
Actually it happens in Louisiana, also. Couple of hours is all it took.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:41 AM

I like my Olfa self-healing mats. I have several in varying sizes. I generally don't use the lines on the mat to measure cut (unless the cut is wider than my ruler), so when the lined side gets worn, I just flip it over and use the plain side. Lasts for years.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 AM

I had a Fiskers mat for many years but it was getting worn so I bought a new Olpha because I could get it at Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon. I love that Olpha and could not believe at how much longer my blades last now!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

My mat is a Fiskars and I've had it for about 10 years. I wipe it off after I'm done and most times I've got something at some point in time sitting on top of it. I flipped it over a couple months ago after it had a small warp in it. It's flatter than a board. it's the only one other than my rotary 12". When I try to take "really good care" of something it will fall apart. the less I mess the better it is.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

A self healing mat the blade cuts into the mat. Thus self healing. A hard surface mat the blade rolls on top of the mat. Some cutters use a lot of pressure to cut, I press just enough to start the blade, no more. If the blade doesn't glide over the fabric and mat then it's time to replace one or both. Repeating a cut is too aggravating to me. I will change the cutter or mat or both.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:34 AM

NO, but I tried soaking it and laying it out on the deck with a weight in the hot & humid Missouri sun for a couple of days. I have a friend in Arizona, do you suppose??? lol
Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Two tips I've learned -
- Buy or cut an old mat down to about 12 x 8". So much use for so many cuttings of smaller pieces and certainly cheaper to replace than my big one! I don't use the mat grid for cutting and use the back often.
- whatever size you use, when cutting again, I don't use the grid) turn your fabric at an angle so you are not always cutting straight vertically or horizontally. Thus far fewer ruts!
Believe me these tips have really worked for me! Haven't bought a new mat in years!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:18 AM

I love my Quilters Select mats. I have two on my cutting station; one on the light gray side, and one on the dark gray side. I am left-handed so the fact that they are numbered left to right and right to left is very helpful to me, as well as the self healing surface.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I recently got a pink/blue one and I am having the dickens of a time cutting on the blue side. Any fabric with blue in it is hard for me to see. So I went back to the green one.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:19 AM

I have the Olfa self-healing mat. Poor thing needs to be cleaned or put out of it's misery.