Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you sew/quilt every day? >
  • Do you sew/quilt every day?

• Do you sew/quilt every day?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:11 PM

I'm retired. Sew when I want, quilt when I want, eat when I want and nap when I want. My life, my business. I earned it!!
    Old 09-19-2016, 12:13 PM

I am also retired but have taken on some responsabilities at home like maintaining our lawn and flowerbeds. I love to garden so no problem there. I try to do outside work in the early morning, rest, do a little house work (as little as possible, hehe) and sew in the evening.

I sew on piecing about twice a week, and on the longarm when I have to do a quilt for a customer or for myself.
    I am also on a fixed income but not to worry I stacked two closets full of all kinds of fabric. My mission this year has been to finish UFO's of which I have about 15 with all fabrics needed to finish these projects.

So the answer is I do not have a schedule and sometimes life happens and sewing is not top priority.
    Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM

I am still working full-time, and have a really LONG bus commute, so I don't get to sew everyday. But I look here and on Pinterest and add to my collection of "must do's". Does that count?
    Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, I sew most days. No set schedule or plan... I'm just not diciplined to do that. I sew most afternoons and evenings. The hours just fly by. I have taken over the formal dining room as my sewing space, and my machine is set where I can see and hear whatever TV hubby is watching in the living room, or I can listen to my radio. I get absorbed into my projects and get a lot done. Still, there are so many UFOs around too! <3<3
    Old 09-19-2016, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

I sewed almost everyday until June 4th when a homeless tiny kitten looked me up. She is such a terror, she gets into everything. Now I only sew on weekends.
    I work full time, have 2 small dogs the kitty and a 10 year old cat and a cockatiel bird. My plate runneth over.
    She will get spayed middle of november and hope she settles down a bit.
    Old 09-19-2016, 01:07 PM

I'm also retired. Now as far as a sewing/quilting schedule ..... well, not so much. What I do try and do is spend at the least 20 minutes a day doing something in my sewing area. There are days that nothing more happens than moving fabric around or printing out a new pattern. But then there are also days when I'm working for an hour or more.
    Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM

I sew most every day. Many times I will do my housework in the mornings then sew in the afternoon. If the house manages to stay picked up and I'm working on a project I may start sewing in the morning and work at it til supper time. I have a very flexible schedule. I do find that if I spend much time on the computer I don't get a lot of sewing done, so I limit the time I spend on the computer. I always have several projects that I'm working on at any given time.
    Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM

I'm retired too. I'm still finding my rhythm so I haven't been sewing every day. I did do a lot of knitting this summer though. Before I retired, I had the habit of mostly sewing when hubby was fishing or at the movies with his friends. Now, we're retired together and there isn't as much of that time anymore so I've got to just start sewing when I feel like it! I'd like to start walking in the morning and sewing after that for a while.
    Old 09-19-2016, 01:55 PM

I'm not retired, and sew a bit most days. I have a home office and telework three days a week (in the office the other two) so I can use my normal commute time for sewing on those day! I'd guess I put in 10 hours of sewing most weekends.

My DH is a "stay at home" husband, so he does most of the household chores while I'm on the clock. It works well for us, this way we both have a lot more free time for doing stuff we enjoy.
    Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Yes I sew everyday. I am a seamstress at a bridal shop so I sew at work. I quilt on weekends. I love to sew.