Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini-irons? >

Mini-irons?

Mini-irons?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 PM

This all sounds great! Thank you for your quick and informative responses. I am so glad I decided to come back to this board. It gives me something to look forward to reading each night after my DH has to retire for the night. He isn't doing too well lately. The pain is getting much worse. He still keeps going and he finds something to laugh about each day. I love him so so much.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 PM

I have this one and love it. In the picture the handle is folded down , it lifts up,,, you just have to push a button on the back of the iron.
http://www.joann.com/rowenta-da1560-...=Irons&start=7
Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 AM

I love my Clover Wedge. The F&P works well - comes in several sizes.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:09 AM

I also use glove and slidelock. I think of the people who write that they have cut themselves so badly and cringe!! Do not want to do this! I have the clover tiny iron and a Rowenta travel iron. The travel iron gets very hot, steam or not as I choose. I like it for my RV, but it would be nice for someone that has strength or coordination issues. Glad you are improving.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:07 AM

Wanted the Clover. Too expensive. Bought a little Sunbeam to take to class. Amazon. Roughly $10 and Prime shipping . Then MSQC had the Clover pretty dang inexpensive. So I got it . Like them both. Great little irons.....
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 AM

I bought my glove at a restaurant supply store. Also use the slidelock at home
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 AM

Greetings.
I have a Sunbeam travel iron. It's the "Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot 800 Watt Compact Non-Stick Soleplate Travel Iron, GCSBTR-100-000". I've had it for a couple of years. On Amazon, it's about $12 and right now it's selling for just over $10..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057UMYAW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_img

It seems like this iron is not mentioned very often when there are questions about small irons, but I like it a lot. It gets hot, and gets hot fast. It's an 800 watt iron. (The Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron mentioned by other posters is only 400 Watts.)

The cord is nice and long. I'm a lefty but the side the cord comes out on is not a problem for me. The iron fits nicely in my hand. I have never used the Sunbeam with steam, so I can't comment on that feature. Also, I have never used it overseas (220-240V), so I can't comment on that, either.

The only downside of this iron for me is I use it at my sewing machine for pressing when I piece, and sometimes the seam allowances or end points of my project get "snagged" by the steam holes in the sole plate, and I get some puckers in my fabric. It's not a big deal to re-press, but can be annoying.

I keep this little iron set up next to my sewing machine, where it's a little workhorse with a small footprint. I recommend it.
...dany
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 AM

I started with the Rowenta travel iron and used one up. I bought a replacement one and really like it, but I also bought the Clover wedge and really like it as well.

I had a problem with the Steam-Fast. It was a little too large for my hand and felt awkward. I had borrowed one from a friend and gave it back to her.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 AM

I have the little Rowenta travel iron. I don't use water in it because I have heard it can develop leaks but it works fine otherwise.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM

I also have the Rowenta travel iron and do use the steam have had no problems. I would definitely buy this one again if mine quit. Have not used the glove but many in my quilting groups do and like them.