Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I made a big mistake >

I think I made a big mistake

I think I made a big mistake

Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM

This thread, (conversation) makes me laugh. My wife quilts and I do research on the quilting. I'm not actually sewing much, but I know more about thread, needles, fabric, machines than any other guy that I know personally. I'm into the specs on the machines and how they work. I don't think that I will actually piece quilts. I did just order EQ 7 and enjoy the design phase of the quilt work. Almost every quilt my wife makes she get my opinion on color selection and pattern since she usually uses a pattern as more of a suggestion than something written in stone.

We just bought a 18'' midarm and she keeps pushing for me to do the artsy stuff on her finished work.

Someone earlier in this thread was spot on when they said that it is more about how much you want to be together and how much you enjoy each others company. I feel blessed that my wife enjoys sharing a trout stream with me in a pair of wadders with flies that we both tie. Those moments are just magic. We spent a ton of time together outdoors. If she could try my hobbies, I certainly can try hers. I think that the biggest thing is that we have fun together.

Oh, one more thing, she doesn't do chat rooms for whatever reason. I've been on different forums for different hobbies for a long, long time. I always found that if you want to get better at something, to hang around people that were better than you. This board has been pretty open to a guy posting and asking questions. So thanks for that. By the way the wife and I are having a blast together still. If your husband wants to play your games, let him. You will usually have someone to go to the quilt shows with.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM

Oh goodness! If I did that we may be able to share a space...if it were bigger...and we each had our own supplies. 2 of everything please....and I could still listen to my music preferences...hmmm, not sure how that would work...

Good luck to you though!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:40 PM

My husband liked horse races and I enjoy sewing. We never had a problem with each other's hobbies. He passed away this past January and the kids are glad I have my sewing as I am disabled and don't get out much so it keeps me from getting too depressed and staying in bed. So sewing is something I feel is really great for anyone .
Old 10-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Really? Move on from quilting? Why would they think you should do that? What do they think you should do?

People are so weird. I've given up trying to figure them out.
Yes, most of my siblings are retired now or about to retire. They earnestly talked to me about always having something to look forward to - which to them is travel. I've decided I dropped the ball in the conversation because I should have explained that I look forward to my quilting- just about every day. They meant well as we had one sister who became a crabby recluse before she passed away. I will write them all a chatty email soon and emphasize how happy I am with my quilty life and grandkids.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clay View Post
This thread, (conversation) makes me laugh. My wife quilts and I do research on the quilting. I'm not actually sewing much, but I know more about thread, needles, fabric, machines than any other guy that I know personally. I'm into the specs on the machines and how they work. I don't think that I will actually piece quilts. I did just order EQ 7 and enjoy the design phase of the quilt work. Almost every quilt my wife makes she get my opinion on color selection and pattern since she usually uses a pattern as more of a suggestion than something written in stone.

We just bought a 18'' midarm and she keeps pushing for me to do the artsy stuff on her finished work.

Someone earlier in this thread was spot on when they said that it is more about how much you want to be together and how much you enjoy each others company. I feel blessed that my wife enjoys sharing a trout stream with me in a pair of wadders with flies that we both tie. Those moments are just magic. We spent a ton of time together outdoors. If she could try my hobbies, I certainly can try hers. I think that the biggest thing is that we have fun together.

Oh, one more thing, she doesn't do chat rooms for whatever reason. I've been on different forums for different hobbies for a long, long time. I always found that if you want to get better at something, to hang around people that were better than you. This board has been pretty open to a guy posting and asking questions. So thanks for that. By the way the wife and I are having a blast together still. If your husband wants to play your games, let him. You will usually have someone to go to the quilt shows with.
Clay, that is SO SWEET that you and your wife share so many different hobbies!! And as far as your wife and the chat rooms goes... perhaps she relies on YOU to do the "research" so she doesn't feel like she needs to?!?
My DH does like to research stuff, and finds chat rooms, but usually just reads them to get his answers, rather than posting himself.

As for the "open to a guy posting and asking questions" bit... one of my best "online friends" is a guy I "met" in another online quilting group. I always appreciate the different viewpoint that men bring to any hobby. It's really true, men and women DO NOT THINK ALIKE... that's not to say that one is better than the other - we just view endeavors with a totally different mindset.

Since you tie flies (I used to help my daddy do that when I was little), I think you will soon come around to doing stitching... I can quite easily envision you doing bobbin work or couching.

Congratulations to the two of you for figuring out how to "share" your hobbies and both enjoy them.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:59 AM

Great plan!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 AM

Angelia, I'm sure the two of you will have great fun together as long as you can share and share alike. LOL

Keep us updated on your DH's Hunter Star project...and if you decide to get a new machine.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 AM

Yes, I'd get another machine for your husband. My husband talks about sewing but so far it hasn't happened. I understand that about someone not wanting you to do quilting. My husband knows I enjoy it but says "what are you going to do with it? Do you want to sell it?" I tell him it's my hobby and my enjoyment no matter what I do with the quilts or gifts I make. Too bad people try to manipulate and control others. Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 AM

Got my first Kenmore for my 18th birthday from my folks. Bought my first Bernina in 1984. Bought a Singer in 2013 and bought my second Bernina this spring. Bought both older granddaughters Bernettes so I can teach them to sew. My DH asked when the I was going to get out of the quilting phase! Silly man!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:44 AM

one of my friends from work, a doc, retired from practice and started hanging around the house all the time. finally, his wife told him, "tony, i married you for better or worse--not for lunch. go back to work." and he went back, part time, to the office, doing physicals and checkups. they were both much happier. i finally told my hubby the same thing--i retired to take care of him and his parkinson's--not to be the cook, maid, and laundry lady, exclusively. i still don't get much quilting done, but he's learning that the wife that doesn't have to cook fresh, every meal, is a much happier one...