Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine. >

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:55 AM

I got a Maytag a few years ago when the government was offering rebates for energy saving models. I hate it. I end up using more water than when I could select the water level. Left on its own, it doesn't put enough water in to wet the clothes. I wash nearly everything on the "comforter" setting just so it will add enough water. Since I live alone, I have to wait a week or two to get full loads. I used to be able to wash partial loads with a lower water setting.
I read that the energy saver refrigerators don't keep food as cold as most people want, but I haven't had any experience with that. My Maytag side-by-side refrigerator's ice maker dispenser quit working. Also it would sometimes not cool food and other times freeze food in the refrigerator section. I replaced it with two standard size refrigerators. I have more cubic feet of storage now. If one goes out, I won't be stuck without a refrigerator.
My Kenmore stainless topped gas range became a rusted mess. Then I had to use a lighter to light the top burners. The oven smelled like a gas leak when I turned it on. I replaced it with a GE. My main complaint with it is that it won't simmer. All the burners cook too hot.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 AM

Guess I'm in the minority here - I love my digital washer. Mine has long cycles, but it also has a setting for quick wash, which give you opens for a cycle as short as 24 min. I have way more options than on my old, basic machine!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Champagnolle View Post
...Left on its own, it doesn't put enough water in to wet the clothes...
I have a friend who is fortunate enough to have a sink in her laundry room. She keeps a bucket handy so that she can add water to her washing machine load because it never fills up enough.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 AM

I have a 16 yr. old Whirlpool Duet He washer & dryer. I've never had any trouble with either of them. I know it's just a matter of time before they need replacing but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be for quite awhile. We just replaced our 26 yr. old Whirlpool freezer. The only thing really wrong with it was it needed a new door seal. The new Fridigaire seals so tight I have to put my foot against the bottom to open it.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:10 AM

The washer we inherited with our home 5 years ago is digital and tumble; no agitator. There is no hot water on it. Oh, the setting says "hot" wash, but the water isn't hot! It's warm. And it does not clean clothes the way my old one did. I think it has all to do with environmental issues. Uses less water? Can't have "hot" water because it's not "energy efficient". Can't have anything in the detergent that is environmentally unsafe or that might actually clean the clothes. I just turn off the cold water source to the washer and fill it up with really hot water. What a pain.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 AM

My mother also had one of those tub with wringer attached washers, and we line dried our clothes. The brand was "Easy". We were still using it when I was in jr. high school or maybe even into high school, the 60's. It finally gave out, and mother bought a Harvest Gold Maytag washer with the big tub. It was wonderful! The timer on the dial quit working sometime in the late 1980's, but we knew how to manually rig it to keep it going and washing our clothes. If you wanted to wash towels and sheets HOT, it filled the tub will ALL hot water, none of the mixing of cold and hot. In 2007 another issue popped up, so we decided to take it to an appliance dealer that services their products which is family owned and in business since 1948. They quit selling Maytag washers by this time because Maytag had been bought out by another company and were constantly in need of repair. BUT, they had the experience in repairing them including the model we had. So, we put a $200 limit on repair, but when we rolled it out there was oil on the floor under it, which means the transmission was bad. So, I researched Consumer's Reports and read reviews, and decided upon buying the matching GE Profile top loading agitator with the Super Size stainless steel tub and matching gas dryer. In 2011 or 2012 the washer was not draining the water, so the repairman came out, and the news was not good. I did more research online and learned a lot about this machine; that a code is sent that details which part is malfunctioning. I called the appliance store back and they gave me an 800 number for GE, that GE has their own repairmen and have had customers come out much better calling GE instead of the in-house repair. The store even returned our service call money! GE guy came out in GE truck/van, determined it was the motor, replaced it for $200, parts and labor, and it has a life time guarantee as long as I have the receipt. GE guy said anything off their truck into our appliances has life time warranty. Appliance store could have replaced motor, but although new, would only have a 90 day warranty. GE repair guy also said the new motor has been redesigned to correct the fault in the original. So far, so good, as here it is 2016 and it is still going strong. I love this washer and dryer. GE still makes this style that looks very similar which I see at Lowe's and Home Depot. I hope they are as good as the set we bought in 2007.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM

Why don't women get to design washing machines, etc. Why can't parents supervise their children? Mine never climbed on things or into things. Just like daring my family to use any of my scissors or machines.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM

Default so helpful

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Why don't women get to design washing machines, etc. Why can't parents supervise their children? Mine never climbed on things or into things. Just like daring my family to use any of my scissors or machines.
Even though this is not quilting related, the info you are all sharing is so helpful! We have a dryer, washer and refrigerator that are old (like 15 to 20) and I know we are eventually having to look for new appliances.

We have never had a matching washer/dryer, but as long as they work that is ok. I've always bought Kenmore washers and dryers and they have lasted forever. We have a new Kenmore dishwasher and I hope it lasts. Nothing is too loud except for the frig. It is VERY loud and I thought I wanted a new one, but maybe I should just be grateful that it still works.

Again, thanks for all the input. When I need to go appliance shopping in the future, I hope to remember all of your comments.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:58 PM

My dad and husband both say my washer sounds like a John Deere tractor out in the field. haha I don't care as long as it washes my clothes.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:09 AM

I have a front loader that is suppose to be water efficient but I give it an extra rinse in the end because all the soap does not rinse out. I don't know how good it washes either but I have had it for several years and it is still going. My sister bought a top loader after having a front loader and she doesn't like it any better. It doesn't have an agitator.

I also bought a Bosh dishwasher three years ago because it was suppose to be quiet and it is quiet but I have had to replace the computer board once (under warranty) and a water pump(not under warranty) and it looks like it is not rinsing my dishes again so I need to call a repair person out. Right now I am rinsing them by hand after they are done. I may just do them by hand and forget having a dishwasher.