Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st time machine quilter questions. >

1st time machine quilter questions.

1st time machine quilter questions.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:40 PM

for laying out for sandwiching, do you have a ping pong table, picnic table, cardboard to lay over a bed, floor space,table at church or library or school may help too.

remember to work from the center out (both directions) so that you can smooth as you go; a patterned backing does a nice job of "hiding" boo-boos.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Use a 90/14 topstitch needle for quilting. Goes through all layers nicely. I use Sharon Shaumbers method of basting. Sometime use glue...either works fine.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 AM

All the ladies here have given spot on advice about pinning and stitching. As far as getting it done by Christmas, easy peasy. I just quilted a 59" square quilt on my DSM (stitch in the ditch) in 12 hours! (spread out in two days). It can be done!
Old 10-30-2016, 08:11 AM

I baste on the floor using the yellow Dritz quilting pins and Pinmoors. There are several cheap Pinmoor alternatives online. I'm not a fan of heavy quilting either, my hubby hates what he calls "the fabric cracker" lol. I'd do SITD with a walking foot but just do the ditches that you want I use Warm Company Soft & Bright poly batting primarily and it's a ten inch apart batting like yours. I don't think I've ever quilted it that far apart but I don't think it would be a problem. I've made several blankets for children that I quilted six inches apart and they've held up to heavy use wonderfully. definitely make a test sandwich to see how small you want your stiches, etc. I also highly recommend a calming drink like a cup of tea or cocoa or an adult beverage and some nice music have fun!!
Old 10-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Thanks! This is great advice and so reassuring! I have to look at Sharon Shaumber's video, it must b good if so many people use it.
Last night, I spread it out on my biggest table and all the sides hung off, but I tried to pin baste it from the center out. It seemed to be going well but at the end I saw that something must have shifted because I ran out of backing on one side. I'm sure the backing is big enough so I don't know what happened. So, tomorrow, I'm going to take the pins out and start over, this time I will spread a big sheet out on the floor and try to do it that way. I'm on vacation this week so I want to make a good start on it.

Basting spray sounds like a really good idea. Why don't people use it more? What about those basting guns?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Basting spray is fine. Many people do use it; I don't because I'm allergic to the propellant. I would recommend 505 Basting Spray if you're using that as it's water soluble & repositionable. I wouldn't bother with the basting guns.

For Sharon Schamber's method, the 2x4's need to be wider than your backing fabric. Your backing fabric should be at least 2" wider & longer than your top -- 1" all the way around; I try to make mine a minimum of 4" wider & longer -- this is because some of the backing will be taken up in the quilting process. When you start, make sure you have everything centered with the proper margins at the edges. If you're using boards on both the top & the bottom, I would pre-mark the center of the top & backing so you can match them up with a straight pin before starting. If you're just using one board and it's a large quilt, you'll need to work from the top to the bottom (or bottom to top), working from the middle out on each "row".

I don't know what the sheet idea is, unless you mean that you're backing your quilt with a sheet. If so, make sure you gently smooth the sheet-backing with flat hands & tape to the floor with masking tape (or if it's carpet, secure the edges with T-pins) before you lay the batting & quilt top on top. For that method, because the entire quilt sandwich is laid out at once, you do want to work in quadrants from the center out, and ideally work with diagonal quadrants to help keep it centered (i.e., pin the upper right quadrant, then the lower left; then the upper left quadrant & finally the lower right). Working in that method helps move the top evenly across the backing to ensure it's centered.

Here are a couple videos:
Clipping to edge of table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5ywYhlKe4
Pin basting on the floor (surface large enough to lay out entire quilt): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRxkSWax9Q
Really good Sharon Schamber video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLsMafElo
Spray Basting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSeWBOnbC90
Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 AM

Your first response gave you a lot of good info, but I'd like to add a few things. First be sure t use a topstitch needle. Also try to have as flat a surface as possible and also add tables, ironing board or any thing else you can to support your quilt. When a quilt hangs over your work space it causes pull which will affect your tension. I suggest doing a small sandwhich to practice on. The more you practice the better you will do. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Use your ironing board and get a sheet of plywood (thin) and trim down some so it won't stick out too far. Cover with a flannel-backed picnic table cloth. (it is slick so your quilt will move easily. Center the quilt and baste that entire section. Then, move to your left and baste. Follow by moving to your right and basting. I saves my knees and back.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 PM

I have been quilting less than a year and truly understand your nervousness. You are asking all the right questions and the other more experienced members of the board are giving you great advice. What I have to add is that it gets easier as you move forward. The joy of completing your first quilt is incomparable. I have a speed control on my machine and I turn it down keep from accidentally going too fast when I do SITD. I also look at the seam line, not at the needle. I started out basting with big stitches, but that caused me problems when I got the big stitches hooked on my foot. I have moved on to glue. Try to relax and enjoy the quilting process, your work looks better and you will feel better if you relax. Everyone here wishes you well.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM

I have tried the basting gun & it is worthless unless you have a very thick batting. To much shifting of the layers. I use spray basting & do it on my bed with a large sheet under the layers. Queen mattress & most of my quilts fit. Just protect your surface. No shifting with spray basting.