Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a cover for their long arm? >

Has anyone made a cover for their long arm?

Has anyone made a cover for their long arm?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, everyone. Right now I'm just using some ugly yardage I got by mistake, but she deserves so much more!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:48 AM

When I first got my machine, I practiced on a muslin sandwich and that's what I use to cover my longarm. I don't cover my frame but I do put a piece of batting under the machine to catch any oil drips.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:58 AM

When we got married, my Grandmother gave us a set of sheets. We used them for many years, but they are full-sized sheets. Now, I use those sheets and pillowcases as a cover for my long-arm (including the rails). I just lay them over all and then use safety pins to make a "tent" covering all. I think of my Grandmother everytime I go into my sewing room and precious memories abound!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM

I custom made covers for my sewing machine, serger and my 6 needle embroidery machine. When I got my longarm, I could not face designing and making another custom cover for it - I just wanted to make quilts! I had a 70 inch round table cloth that I was not using - got it out of the linen closet and have been using it ever since. It covers everything, including my prostitcher computer mounted on the top and it is long enough to cover it very well. It is light weight, folds up easily when not being used as a dust cover and washes easily. Since my sewing room is in an extra bedroom, I don't cover my frame when there isn't a quilt on it. I usually have whatever quilt top I am piecing together hanging on the poles, or completed blocks and then rows of the quilt top staged so that I can sew them together in the correct order.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:22 AM

Yes, I have a Tiara II sit down which faces needle front like a long arm. I found the pattern online as a tutorial, can't remember the name, but if you PM me with your email I will send you my directions. I'm sure you could adapt it. It opens in the back and all along the top with Velcro to accommodate the cords, and in your case handles. Sorry for the washed out pics but hopefully you get the idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561867[/ATTACH]
Not sure why this turned as I turned the file but you get the idea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561868[/ATTACH]
Left this open so you could see the Velcro across the top to accommodate the horizontal thread holder and the tall thread guides. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5256.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	561867   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5257.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	561868  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:18 AM

I just measured the head, cut out the pieces from some fabric I had, and sewed them together. I measured the length, width, and height of the head. I allowed some slack for the handles from and back.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM

I have a poly sheet (won't use it on the bed--only cotton!) that I flip over the machine and most of the frame on my Gammill, I'm a little lazy about machine covers!
Old 11-13-2016, 03:10 PM

I just cover my machine with a large pieces of fleece I had laying around.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I think a king size sheet in a pretty pattern would do for me. I don't own a long arm though.
That's what I do...