quilts in movies

Old 11-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
My favorite is The Proposal with Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds and Betty White.
Google: Quilts shown in Movies. Tons of them.
Wasn't one of the quilts called, The Baby Maker? or something like it? Thanks for the smile.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:18 PM

*** I watched "Alaska the Last Frontier" with the Kilchers on Sunday and
*** you could see a sewing machine in the back ground & quilts on the bed.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
Lynnie your post caught my eye! DH and I have a running game of "who can spot the quilt first". What started the game was a movie that was set in the mountains of North Carolina and was supposed to be set around 1900. It was about young girls in an orphanage and there were quilts on the beds. When a close up of a quilt was shown I could clearly see (due to DH's very large 65" tv) that the quilt was quilted on a long arm!
<snip>
The quilt in the movie may indeed have been quilted on a longarm, but it can be really hard to tell. I was at a quilt show once, and a lady stopped at the quilt I was admiring. She sniffed in disapproval and said dismissively that the quilting was done by machine. But that quilt was hand quilted! The stitches were small and even, and the quilting was dense, with a beautiful intricate design, and it was all done by hand.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
What movie have you seen quilts being displayed?
There are quilts in almost every movie that has a bed in it. I knew someone that made quilts for movies. When she finished the quilt and gave it to them, they took it and made it "look old" and or ragged. Almost enough to make you cry. Haha
Old 11-16-2016, 04:50 AM

Not a movie but the old tv series Little House on the Prairie showed nice quilts.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:23 AM

There are quilts and afghans in the movie, Nanny McPhee. I also saw quilts in the TV series, When The Heart Calls.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:25 AM

I have seen Depression era quilts in movies that were set in the 19th century. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Some patterns were not even around then.

Saw one in an old Twilight Zone episode the other day, it is frustrating when you are trying to get a good look at it, and it is not in shot!

Once in LA, we met this lady, Margaret Cavigga.
https://www.amazon.com/Margaret-Cavi.../dp/B000MSFQJU
She had a quilt store and also rented quilts to be used in movies. She said they usually damaged them and then they would wind up buying them.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:55 AM

Haven't seen any in a movie but if your a fan of "The Young & the Restless" you've probably seen the cup/mug wallhanging in Crimson Lights cafe. It was made by Beth Maitland who plays Graci Abbott. Also remember seeing a quilt in the cabin when that girl was found murdered in the closet...
Old 11-17-2016, 08:14 AM

a friend and i have an ongoing "thing" about movies and t.v. programs. she's a potter/porcelainist, i'm a quilter/artist, surrounded by artist kids (two have degrees and post grad study in studio art). when we watch a show, the first thing she "sees" are the pottery and hand thrown things. the first thing i focus on are the quilts. it seems as though we can always find at least one "thing" that strikes our fancy. (with the movie "titanic", the first thing she "saw" was the pottery. i'm spotting quilts all the time when the hubby is watching the tube--there are an amazing number of quilts on all of the old cowboy shows, from the 50s and 60s.)
Old 11-17-2016, 11:25 AM

The Americans - TV show about Russian spies in the US during the 80s. They have the most beautiful star quilt on the wall in their bedroom.