Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
November 2016 Postcard Swap >

November 2016 Postcard Swap

November 2016 Postcard Swap

Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

When I searched how to do my tree I saw one that was a folded paper half circle. So I thought what if I did it out of fabric? Then I got thinking about the edges. I had decorated some tshirts with zz edges a few years ago... Every tree looks different. I sewed the edges on my Emdeko made by Toyota. I tested using pattern stitches thinking I could get a different effect but plain zz worked the best. The circles do not have to be perfectly round but they do have to be a knit. Every one of them came out different - maybe my quality control isn't so hot. Dot's looked like it was having a frolic with the snow person. This one just wouldn't dance. She looked happier just walking around.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
When I searched how to do my tree I saw one that was a folded paper half circle. So I thought what if I did it out of fabric? Then I got thinking about the edges. I had decorated some tshirts with zz edges a few years ago... Every tree looks different. I sewed the edges on my Emdeko made by Toyota. I tested using pattern stitches thinking I could get a different effect but plain zz worked the best. The circles do not have to be perfectly round but they do have to be a knit. Every one of them came out different - maybe my quality control isn't so hot. Dot's looked like it was having a frolic with the snow person. This one just wouldn't dance. She looked happier just walking around.

That's just too funny. Either way, I'm with you, she looks like she's having a lively stroll through the snowflakes.
I mailed off your card today. Look for it around Thursday.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:39 PM

I am posting the December signups early. (Since November is a short month.) I want to give everyone lots of time to sign up.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...ml#post7699392

This month, you must pm your partners with questions. Really make this card special. It is all about celebrating them.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:27 PM

K-Roll your postcard is ready and will go out tomorrow. It's ready to take flight literally across the US.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I received a very elaborately hand embroidered and embellished post card from Judith. Wow! Thank you.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562315[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	562315  
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM

wow judith, that is stunning, how lucky is the recipient. detail is amazing.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:48 PM

Thanks ladies. I dyed the fabric myself with sharpies and alcohol first. Then did all the thread painting. Then the fun part. I love doing handwork. And, went amazingly fast. Must have been because I was enjoying myself. I like to think of this tree growing from one side of the card to the other. Here is a photo of the back.

[URL=http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/judithklima/media/Post%20Cards/IMG_20161114_0805537801.jpg.html][/URL

I do hope you like it Miriam. It is different.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Oh, Judith, I love it! You did a fantastic job. It doesn't look like it went amazingly fast though. I like to hand sew but not that much... The fabric is perfect. I'm going to HAVE to try the sharpie/alcohol trick on something. Possibly something some kid ruined with a sharpie... I have a 2 1/2 year old grand daughter that loves to marker and nobody seems to hide them well enough. She turned herself into a tiger on the way to the doctor once. Then when my daughter pulled the diaper off there were teeth marks on one cheek. Most likely from her 4 year old brother. The doctor got a good laugh out of it. Fortunately she had a bunch of wild kids, too. But aren't they all?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:58 AM

owlvamp, your PC is ready to go as soon as I have a chance to get to the P.O. I don't like mailing this late - if only because looking at all the beautiful cards already posted makes me want to start again!

Judith, I love handwork too, and it does seem to go fast - I agree with miriam, your card looks like it took ages...so so beautiful and experimental. Sharpies & alcohol, eh? Good to know...I just bought some of those Inktense pencils. Haven't used them yet.

With so many of the cards pictured, I wish I could enlarge the pics here onsite to examine them in minute, close-up detail. I'm thinking of miriam's card, and lots of others. I like to 'get down to the real nitty-gritty'. Maybe from having a microscope as one of my favorite childhood toys - only it wasn't a toy...
Old 11-18-2016, 03:02 AM

I forgot to say to cuppy: thanks for your idea-sparking card, how to present Xmas money gifts for nieces & nephews...I will baffle them by sewing a money tree! (make them work for it!)