Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
need an anti-static miracle cure for cotton fabric! >

need an anti-static miracle cure for cotton fabric!

need an anti-static miracle cure for cotton fabric!

Old 11-19-2016, 06:05 PM

krafty14, I used to take a softener sheet & rub it on the inside of my skirt & on my slip to keep the skirt from clinging. Oh, you brought back fine memories.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:14 PM

Static spray works. I keep fabric softener sheets in my purse for those static-y hair days, my SIL was amazed when she saw me pull it out and wipe my hair down. She always thought her flyaway hair was because her hair was dry, but a wipe with a sheet fixed it. In a pinch, I've also used hair conditioner as a fabric softener rinse in my washing machine.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:14 PM

Static spray works. I keep fabric softener sheets in my purse for those static-y hair days, my SIL was amazed when she saw me pull it out and wipe my hair down. She always thought her flyaway hair was because her hair was dry, but a wipe with a sheet fixed her right up. In a pinch, I've also used hair conditioner as a fabric softener rinse in my washing machine.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:19 PM

I used to use a cotton tablecloth when I did craft shows-----but I spent more time washing & ironing it. I finally switched to crushed panne......it's an inexpensive looking velvet. You literally can roll it in a ball & it doesn't look wrinkled--and drapes beautifully! Just a thought......
Old 11-20-2016, 02:10 AM

If you rub hand cream into your hands and then stroke over fabric it makes it anti static, I do this to my tights when some of my dresses cling. It can also happen if the carpet in the room she is in is nylon. It transmits the static from people walking on it to their clothes and will then transfer to anything they brush against
Old 11-20-2016, 06:10 AM

I love Static Guard. It is sometimes hard to locate in the store. I usually find it on a top shelf in the laundry aisle. Store employees often have never heard of it. I keep a can at home and one in my locker at school as static in my clothes makes me nuts. I also use either Downy fabric softener or Bounce sheets in the dryer. Good luck. I guess she could also carry a lint roller.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:20 AM

I have fine hair and from time to time I have a problem with static. My life would be miserable without Static Guard. Like Onebyone I spray it in my brush and it tames my hair. I buy it in the laundry department of Target.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 AM

There is a spray Static Guard that I use to keep my skirts and pants from sticking to me in the winter. I bet it would work for this and it is simple. You spray it on like hair spray while the cloth is on the table.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 AM

OK! Thanks! I have shared these responses with my sister and she is going to wash it at least once with fabric softener between now and next weekend's show, and also invest in a can of Static Guard. But I really like the idea of the "crushed panne"! I am going to promote that idea heavily. The fabric we are fighting with over this static situation does indeed wrinkle horribly.

My sister and I have considered the possibility that while agonizing over the selection of this fabric, we somehow offended the ladies in the fabric store....and that they might have cursed us in our future endeavors with the dang blasted stuff. In the interest of brevity during my original post I chose not to mention the epic wrinkle problem, AND the fact that, despite our careful math, we somehow bought about 4 yards too much. At this point, I am concerned about buying the excess from her and using it in my own projects...maybe some magical herbs will help?
Old 11-21-2016, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I remember there was a spray we used to use on our slips (giving away my age) to keep the dress or skirt from clinging when we walked. Don't remember the name, sorry. If her craft show continues tomorrow, perhaps she could rub the front part of her display with a softener sheet. It might help. Ann
I remember using hair spray for this. Talk about dating myself.
Sandy