Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what batting to use? >

what batting to use?

what batting to use?

Old 11-21-2016, 07:30 AM

It is a scrap quilt of stars. My plan is to do the stars in colored thread so it looks like colored stars on the back side. I have already done one of these a few years ago with all white quilting showing on the back, so thought this would be fun to do with colors showing on the back.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:07 AM

I would use bamboo or silk or even wool. All are a bit pricey, but light weight and quilt like butter.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 AM

I also think wool is a great choice. However, I will add that I made one king size quilt with silk. I quilted it on my DSM. It looked really nice and draped nicely. It was a gift. I did wash it before gifting and liked the way it looked. I washed it in the washer and spread it on a painters plastic drop cloth on the floor. I blocked it gently by having my husband help me.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:11 PM

I LOVE the Quilter's Dream batting to hand quilt. However, a machine quilter told me that it would look dirty through my mostly white quilt since the wool is a natural color. What do you ladies think?
Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
I LOVE the Quilter's Dream batting to hand quilt. However, a machine quilter told me that it would look dirty through my mostly white quilt since the wool is a natural color. What do you ladies think?
Maybe, if you're using very thin cotton. I used wool with blue/green/purple/white batiks and you can't see through them at all.

The QD wool batting is a very light cream. If you're worried about it, take some scraps of your white quilt to the store and audition it against the wool.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:16 PM

A friend used bamboo batting on a queen size quilt and when she washed it, it shrunk horribly. Don't know if that's typical or not.

I love Quilters Dream products. I used the Request when I made a king-size quilt for a friend.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 PM

I agree that quilter's dream is great, as well. I also very much like Mountain Mist Cream Rose (carried by JoAnn Fabrics) which is needle punched 100% cotton, less pricey than many other batts, machine and hand-quilts beautifully. Available only in crib, twin and queen sizes on sale now 40% off making the twin size $17.99 - I should think about stocking up.
Oh, and leftovers are good for place mats, runners, etc.