Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm 24, and have been quilting almost two years. I have a two year old who gets all excited when I come into the 'yo-ing room' and turn my machine on. He loves to see what Mama makes. It's helping him learn his colors and shapes too, as my projects are his favorite things to learn about (and participate in, of course!).

I'll be going on retreat this weekend, and at least one other person there will be 24... I've known her for years, and it thrills me that she quilts too! We didn't get each other into this hobby, though... we just both ended up learning from our family (who happen to know each other too.. small world!). I find every spare minute I can to come into my room and make art!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Turning 35 in July. It is nice to have quilters of all ages on this site. Gives everyone a different perspective!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I was 25 when I started making purses with patchwork construction. I am self taught and I have been quilting for 30 yrs now. Beginning in your 20s or earlier is a blessing!! Means you have along time to learn and make masterpieces!! I love that the art of quilting is not dying out but being picked up by our young generations!!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Sorry I can't help you... I'm fast approaching 50! But I did start quilting when I was in my mid-30's. Well, that was the first time I finished a quilt.

For what it's worth, the people that I work with - even those who are older than me - think that quilting is for old ladies. Little do they know! And honestly, when I've been fortunate enough to go on retreats, the older ladies are really the ones who are the wild ones!
I started in my 30's too...many moons ago
Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM

I was 8 or 9 when I started sewing an trying to crotche.I'd
watch my grandmother for hrs when she was making stuff an when she first let me use her brand new singer back when I had just passed sixth grade I was on top of te world.an to my knoledgethey're wasn't any of the other granddaughters ever used that machine.that made me feel special.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 AM

I was under 40....14 years ago....Was around quilting/sewing all my life. Grew up in the house with my great-grandmother and my grandmother (mother&daughter) and both could quilt their buns off. Me, wasn't interested. BUT the quilting bug bit me back in September 2009 and I have been obsessed ever since.
Go figure.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 AM

I am 51 but I am one of those that will NEVER grow up! And with all of the quilts that I want to do...well I just hope that there is a quilting room in heaven!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Well, I ain't saying exactly, but Truman was elected that year, Israel became a nation, so it couldn't have been too bad a year, I'm here. I've loved sewing all my life and I don't do as much of it as I would like. Inconvenience of work and more work misadjusts my efforts to reach my goals. But I'll keep plugging.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM

HI! I am 37 and my BFF is also 37. We both started quilting last January and everytime we have gone to a quilt show (especially the big one in Des Moines) we ALWAYS her older ladies saying how wonderful, or how cute, to see such "young ladies" interested in quilting.

This is funny bacause they called us ladies! LOL

My 17 (18 in April) daughter says it is old lady stuff. But my husband thinks it cool.

Better then spending money on beer and wine.... oh wait, i spend money on wine.... so better then spending money on beer!

:) :thumbup:
Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 AM

I'm not in that age group, but both of my daughters 24 and 21 quilt as do many of their friends. Several also knit, crochet or do needlework as well.

Hand crafted is alive and well with the younger set.