Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Altos cutting system was the big waste for me. It looked great in the demonstration but it didn't translate to joyful cutting at home. It is large and takes up a lot of table space plus I don't preplan my projects by how to layer the fabric so I can cut all of it in one sitting...layer over layer. Groan. It is in the original box - mocking me.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:21 PM

I love this thread! It is true that some things work for one person and don't work for another. The beauty is you can sell what you don't want/use and there is always someone else out there who would love to purchase what you don't want. I was able to purchase 2 of those Slide lock rulers a few years ago from someone who didn't like it for their use. I'm happy to be able to save some money AND get that out of her house! Removes a little bit of the "guilt" and that mocking that comes from those purchases.

I'm also really glad that when someone says they don't like something...they give their reasons. That helps us who are contemplating a purchase determine if that would be a problem/issue for us! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I think my "waste of money" is that fabric that is "on sale" at a chain store that is a bit flimsy. I had purchased some "licensed character" fabric to make a toddler quilt. It came out cute, but I saw it a year after it was gifted and it had really faded.........Same with Christmas fabric that I seem to always find a need for.......then, I notice it's kind of thin and flimsy. So, I've decided I really have to be cautious when purchasing at a chain store.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
Same here.....what a disappointment that slider was.
Originally Posted by batikmystique View Post
So good to know. I'm in the market for a needle threaded but didn't realize that this one mentioned requires a specific brand of needle. I will keep up the search! This blog has been great to read. Not sure what some of these other items are, but will remember to avoid them. LOL
It is an awesome threader! Best invention since toilet paper. I use all kinds of needles in it, too. Sometimes it won't thread on the first try either because the eye is turned the wrong way or because the thread isn't seated into its slot before pushing the button. Still way better than not threading needles at all since my eyes are terrible!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Kas

and I love the slider! Will take any off anyone's hands!
Old 12-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by jarenie View Post
A machine by Bernina. I have spent 2 years trying to get it to sew without braking thread. Customer service just says they can not help and to take it to the dealer. The Dealer says that I need to learn to sew slower. That did not help. I bought a Pfaff and the only time I have to rethread my machine is when I run out of thread.
NO BERNINA
Is this one of the newer machines? If it is a high speed machine, you should be using the Masterpiece 50/3 by Superior or a Mettler 50wt to do your piecing. My Bernina is about 10 years old (640) and I have never had that problem. I would also look for a new repairman!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Rotary blade sharpeners. I've bought two of them the last one being the Orbitol Sharpener at $37.99 and they just don't work that well. They sharpen the blade somewhat but it is just not the same as a new one. Now I look for blades on sale and stock up.
Yes, me too! $65 and it doesn't work. I could have bought a lot of blades with that.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
the suction handle to use on your rulers (wouldn't stick)
That thing always reminded me of a rotary phone.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh View Post
teflon pressing sheet,and the pounce thing for marking quilts. never used the [pounce and the teflon sheet was so stiff and then wrinkled and is useless.
I love the Teflon pressing sheet. It is invaluable when making tshirt quilts.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Shadoh, you do know that the teflon pressing sheet gets soft when you press it and you can straighten it out? I used mine a lot. It's indispensible for me when I'm using any kind of fusible. I actually have 2. One for under the fabric to protect the ironing board and one for on top to protect my iron.
I just do applique so I literately wear those teflon sheets out. I now use parchment paper instead and I bought thousands of sheets from ULine! They are especially useful when making 72" by 90" hangings.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SarahBethie View Post
That thing always reminded me of a rotary phone.
I bought that too and it's way too bulky to use. I can't see the ruler lines. The more of this thread I read, the more I realize how much stuff I bought that I don't use. I don't like thinking about it - I see my money flying out the window on wings...