Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I cut binding too short at the end... >

Help! I cut binding too short at the end...

Help! I cut binding too short at the end...

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Time for a 'design decision'. I would cut a patch in a piece to cover the oopsie, and bind as you plan to. Use the odd section to embroider your name or the receivers name along it. Problem solved. You can fix it without too much pain.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 PM

I fixed it but not the way I wanted to. I did patch in a long piece and no one will be the wiser, but trying to join it one way I messed up again but at least had enough to join a different way. It looks fine and the stripes match, so I'm happy with it. Now to figure out the best way to sew it to the back. I've watched 3 youtube videos and they all use different stitches, so I guess it's personal preference. I can't believe it's almost done!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM

Julie, I use a basic hem stitch to attach the binding to the back. See The Ultimate Quilt Binding Tutorial by Jenny at MSQC. On YouTube!
Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
I vote with MadQuilter, if you trim the blunt end back a little and put in a 3-6 inch piece with diagonal seams it will be fine.
Madquilter does what I have done, works very well.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:39 PM

Jeanette, I watched her video and couldn't tell exactly what she was doing - was she coming up through the binding and then going through the backing? So she was "tacking" down the binding. As opposed to going through the binding and then "tacking" the backing? KWIM?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Walk away from it for a day, then go back and cut another piece of binding and "do it right" -- you'll be glad you did.
My dentist has a quote in his office that says, "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to fix it the second time."

No worries, most of us have done something similar and had to patch in a second piece. I just did it on my grandson's quilt I have been working on for over a year. I unpicked about a foot or more so the new piece wasn't so obvious. Good luck. You will thank yourself for taking the time to "do it right".
Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM
mac

I know, I have done this too. In fact on one particular quilt, I was such a ditz that I cut it too small not once, but twice! Can you believe that? There are some days that you need to just walk away from a project when you are in a hurry and making too many mistakes.

As frustrating and scary as it is, as everyone says just add an extra length of binding. If you are careful, you won't even be able to tell that it is there.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 AM

Don't know what video you were watching but I love Jeanie Doan's method! Always comes out nice and has a real finished look to it.