Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Humility is done >

Humility is done

Humility is done

Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 AM

Thanks for sharing. Isn't it wonderful that we have so much electronic help available from such talented quilters/teachers available on-line. I was blessed to have a wonderful teacher in our guild; she has gone on to work with famous people. I love every aspect of quilting because of her expert help. Today, I put an applique quilt, black, with every block filled with hearts and flowers that I designed for me. I love it, and since it is supposed to be down to 10 tonight, I thought I would enjoy it for day or two. I love this guild where folks can share without fear of folks making fun of our errors. So, keep quilting and enjoying our craft.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by dottiemae View Post
Thank you for all the nice support. To be honest, the only reason I chose such bright and vibrant color yellow is: I wanted my mistakes to be easily seen so I can learn from the mistakes. A darker fabric would of been too easy for me to by pass mistakes. I have realized that for every mistake made I could and did find a positive. So that is what keeps me wanting to try. I have learned so much. I can only get better. And with all your knowledge and expertise I am sure I will get better.

I do have the fabric to start a table runner of sorts. ( it is actually going to cover a cedar chest my mom gave me that she has had for over 60 yrs.) . Right now I am getting the planning part of it mastered. I know what pattern I am going to try. Bought a yard of extra fabric just in case I think I know how I will quilt it. So, perhaps later today I will start cutting my fabric and prep the machine with new thread and bobbins and start tomorrow. We are being bombarded with snow and it is pretty gloomy and lighting isn't what I want to work with when it comes to sewing.
What a wonderful, positive attitude! Your quilt is lovely - the colors so bright and cheerful.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:22 AM

It looks great. You did a great job for a first quilt. Enjoy it!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Your quilt is cheerful and looks fantastic! I used to tell my students when I taught school that they had to learn from the mistakes of others because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself. We always look back at our finished quilts and think of what you want to do better the next time. It's natural to want to improve your skills. However, that does not take away from any quilt that one finishes.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:36 PM

Your first ever quilt is wonderful. When I made my first quilt back in the late 50's there was no such thing as a rotary cutter or self healing mats. All the pieces had to be cut out with scissors. I'm sure people pieced by machine back then but I never heard of machine piecing/quilting until 2001. I'm so proud of the fact that you still want to quilt after this first marvelous quilt. So many people give up when they run into problems and never reap the benefits of a long, life time rewarding hobby. Keep up the good work. I'm ready to see that table runner/chest cover that you will be starting on soon.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Everybody has to start somewhere and I think you are off to a good start. I like the pattern you used and savvy fabric choice. I'm about a year into quilting and I can guarantee you that every quilt is better than the one before! You are going to love this adventure!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 PM

I just want to say that I ABSOLUTELY love these fabrics. I love bright colors and this would suit my taste to a "T"! So cute. As to mistakes, first quilt or last . . . there will always be something. Sometimes something noticeable . . . often not. You got some great advice here from these ladies. I surely couldn't add another thing. You're going to do fine! Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Lovely, happy quilt! Awesome that it's only your first! Binding looks great to me.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 PM

Keep it up....don't let anyone slow you down (including youself). Got your next one planned? Let's go!!!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:35 AM

1st time job well done!!