Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM

When my elderly mother-in-law was in her last years, she stayed with her daughters and they kept buying her stamped needlework for her to embroider to keep her hand/mind busy. When she passed away we all got to pick out some of the projects that we wanted. I had young children at the time but I picked out a square quilt top that she embroidered and it had a little angel on it and she used brown thread for the little angel, instead of the "flesh" color, maybe she ran out. Anyway, we all laughed about the little "brown" angel quilt. Fast forward to a few years ago, when my oldest daughter was pregnant and our church was giving her a baby shower. This is a church that my mother'in-law's family had founded over 100 years ago and most of the older ladies that knew her were at the shower. I had hand quilted the top - following the printed stamping for the quilting lines, but adding lots of hearts. I put a blue backing on it as she was having a boy. When she opened it up at the shower and read my note about the quilt, almost every lady at the shower was crying - even my daughter who NEVER cries, not even at a funeral.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 AM

I have really been moved reading this thread - I have so much respect and admiration for quilters who give of their time and talents. These quilt recipient stories warm my heart, a gift at this time of year. Thank you all.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:46 AM

Well, I made my dog a quilt. He was more excited than any human I have give one to so far.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:56 AM

I made a quilt for a newborn baby. His mama had no experience with quilts at the time. She quietly thanked me. She was genuinely content with the quilt as her look of surprise showed on her face. She had only seen bold quilts that I'd made prior to this one for her 'yet to be born' boy. However, I knew she was a very reserved person, and used only earth tones and paired them with a mellow quilt block.

Once a year I get a picture of her and her son underneath the quilt. It's sweet, quick and simple, but I appreciate her for it.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM

My dad just passed away this week under a train quilt I finished just a short time ago for him. He was always telling my mom. "look at my new blanket" (he had dementia) and all his hospice care givers loved it. Its going to be passed on to his one brother tomorrow when he gets here for the funeral. His brother is also a train lover. Also I'm in MN and his brother is coming from FL. So I have a feeling a warm quilt will be welcome over the next few days for both the memories and the warmth.

I'm also looking forward to my 3-year olds reaction to her minnie mouse quit. It was to be her Christmas present but that's not going to happen now. I switched to finishing my dads quilt and I'm so thankful I did so he got to enjoy it before he passed.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
These stories are so inspiring and tells everyone how special we quilters are in the care and comfort of others. Thank you Red Garnet for starting this post.
I have sat here and read these posts with a box of Kleenex crying like a baby. What a wonderful gift to each other at this time of year.
Please ladies, keep sharing your stories. They are so uplifting!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:48 PM

Pennyhal...that's so cute!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 PM

I have been fortunate to have very appreciative recipients of my quilts. One of my favorites was a quilt I made for my GS teacher who was retiring at the Christmas break. I made a scrappy signature quilt for the students to sign. They were in maybe 1st or 2nd grade. When I asked my GS if she liked it he said every time she looked at it she looked like this : he had a dazed look with a goofy grin
the most important was when I took my DD faded raggedy quilt and made it into a stuffed dinosaur for her 2 yo son. I told him it had grandma's love in it. To just hug it when he missed me. He still has it today and it holds a place of honor in his room. He will be on the 22nd of this month
Old 12-15-2016, 05:42 PM

Missed that my GS will be 22 this year. Love that boy ❤️
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Default For new grandson

We met our new grandson last year just before Christmas. I hadn't had a chance to take a picture before I gave it to him so while he was getting dressed for bed I spread it on the floor. He saw it and just knew it was for him! He tossed it up and down and then rolled around in it. I think he liked it. Fast forward a year... he has slept under it every night and every nap since.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AnthonysFarm.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	563832   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015.11.23.rolling in his quilt.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	979.0 KB
ID:	563833