Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why don't I do this >

Why don't I do this

Why don't I do this

Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 PM

One by One...good for you!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM

Usually those are my go to piecing colors. Then when I stitch in the ditch I often will just continue with these colors telling myself that's fine. Well I know that isn't the right thread to use.
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Are you saying you match color thread to fabric when piecing? My thread is either white, beige or gray usually for all,exception black or navy blue....then usually matched......or close....
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 PM

White, beige or black or navy are the colors I use for piecing. The thread doesn't show because the seams are pressed in one direction. Good way to get rid of odd colors, too!
Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 AM

I use light lavender to pc with you would be surprised how it blends with a lot of colors. Never use white or black unless the fabric is that color. I also use a beige or cream thread to pc. works for me
Old 12-16-2016, 04:33 AM

I use light grey, beige, or cream for all my piecing. And since I do mostly scrap quilts, multi-color for the quilting.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 AM

I like to use up spools of thread, no matter the color.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:24 AM

I, too , use up spools of thread, putting the last few yards of a spool on the bobbin. Much better to run out of thread in the bobbin than from the spool, which can cause some nasty thread nests. One time I thought I was going to have to take the machine in to the repair man, it was so tight.

I have read that years ago, quilts were pieced with white or black or red thread. I can't imagine the reason for the red, unless it is like Onebyone said, it makes you happy.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I have old thread from Mom and Mom-in-law, too. I used to keep the spools in one of those jar lamps. I'm thinking of decorating a mini Christmas tree with them and some other notions.
i found a mini tree at a garage sale decorated with sewing things so had to have it, of course.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Unless I'm sewing white to white fabric I usually use bright red thread to piece with. Red thread makes me happy.
This made me smile, as I quilted a top that me husband's grandmother had made many years ago. The top was blue and white and she had used red thread to hand pieced it. The red thread is visible when looking at the finished quilt. I always explained to anyone looking at it, that the red thread was probably what she had on hand so she used it. Now I believe I want to use your explanation "Red thread made her happy" if you don't mind. LOL
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Are you saying you match color thread to fabric when piecing? My thread is either white, beige or gray usually for all,exception black or navy blue....then usually matched......or close....
Me too! My thread colors are limited to yours. don't have problems with the thread matching