Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about Accuquilt cutter stuff >

Questions about Accuquilt cutter stuff

Questions about Accuquilt cutter stuff

Old 12-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Since I have never used the Go, does anyone know of a good video that could help me get started?
Thanks again
go:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-fabric-cutter.html
go big (electric)
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-big...arter-set.html

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-21-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I use my Go for 99% of all my quilts. I have had it since it first came available. I bought most of the dies that were available for it then. Over the years I have added dies as I wanted them. I buy mats to fit the die. For one shape on a die with multiple shapes I use the smallest die to cover over the one shape I want to cut. I have all the cube sizes but they were gifts. I buy most of my dies and mats from Amazon through Accuquilt. The mail packaging is better and still the same warranty. I get free two day shipping with Prime. Excellent cost free returns if a die skips or is defective.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 PM

I love my electric go big......and every time the dies go on sale, I buy 2 or 3 or $100 worth to get free shipping. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of dies. I use the BOB boards and the swap boards are the ones I use most. Swap boards are the one's I "swap" with other quilters.....2 1/2" (qty 9 squares on the board or 56 cut squares in one pass when using 6 layers). I also "swap" 5" squares for I spy's...2 sqs per board or 12 squares per pass. I also swap postage stamps (1 1/2" squares). everybody uses different boards, and I didn't buy them all at once. But I do love them. Oh, Oh, I use by 2 1/2 inch strip cutter alot because I store many scraps as 2 1/2 inch strips.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 PM

I love my Go, too. They didn't have the Go Big when I got it, or I would have bought it. I got mine at the Road to CA show and a couple of the dies. (I got both the tumblers and the double 5 inch squares.) And I do order from Accuquilt when they have a sale. It doesn't take much to get to $99.00 for free shipping and I have not had them charge me sales tax. I have 15 dies now. I don't do appliqué, but fell in love with their little owl. (Haven't made it yet, but plan to try it next year.)
In the beginning it was overwhelming and I wanted to buy them all. So I just made myself stop once I got to the level for free shipping and it had to be on sale. If you have a quilting buddy, that person may want to buy certain dies too. My friend knows what I have, so if she needs something she is welcome to use it. (I have the DWR die and we were able to cut out a king size quilt in about an hour.) She has offered to buy some - but it usually turned out I already had the die. They seem to multiple rapidly.

I have not bought any of the cubes because it hasn't been worth it to me because of when I bought my Go they weren't around yet.
Not sure, but I do believe most dies have a video to go with it. Just click on the die description and the video is there.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 12-21-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Thanks -- my preferred block size is 12" and I tend to make log cabins, stars and bargello. I looked at the cubes and my eyes glazed over with all the options.

Since I have never used the Go, does anyone know of a good video that could help me get started?
Thanks again
think you are really going to like your GoBIG! I got mine last Christmas--knew I wanted the electric one cause I have some shoulder issues and was finding it hard to cut for very long or very often. I also was having some accuracy issues due to shoulder (yah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) and was disappointed in my piecing results as a result. I received the flying geese die with it. I also purchased the strip bundle (6.5", 3.5" 4", 2.5", and one with 1.5" & 1" & 1/2" on it) I use these a LOT--especially the 2.5--for binding and sashing. and with the strip dies I can also do a 2nd cut and make squares or diamonds. I also bought the log cabin (hate cutting all those strips!), and 2 sizes of the triangle in a square (like you cut with Tri-Recs rulers). Then I splurged about a month ago and got the 12" Qube bundle--like you I mostly make 12"blocks. And since I really wanted a drunkards path die, DH bought me the Qube companion for Christmas--it's in my sewing room waiting for Christmas Eve! And then I made a great deal with a Board member and bought a number of her new and used dies just last week--so think I'm set--bought the rag quilt die which my daughter was wanting.

Do sign up for the Accuquilt website emails and blogs--they have very good videos to show you how to use them and ideas to make--not just quilting stuff either--home decor, totes, etc.

I don't use for applique--I have a Silhouette Cameo that I use for that and paper/vinyl, etc.

think if you do many bargello's you'd like the strip bundles too.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 AM

I have only used my Accuquilt Go for appliques except for raggy quilt squares. I found that lining up the squares with the fringes already cut is difficult for me, so I would not buy that die if I had it to do over.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:58 AM

DH gave me the Go BIG when it came out... he had fun earlier this year helping me cut up scraps. Didn't like the mat and rotary cutters for strip cutting so told me to buy the strip dies.
Just spent $350 for the strip dies and the big circles one and stocked u on mats... this year's birthday and
Christmas gifts...
He's happy and so am I. Now he wants to play with my machine again...
Old 12-22-2016, 05:13 AM

I have a Go I bought off Craigs List. Then I bought the butterfly die designed by Edyta ? I figured out that if you use a batik layer cake, for the butterfly and you position it just so on the Accuquilt , you can also get a scrap big enough for my MSQC small template.

I like the whole idea of the Accuquilt for cutting as my hand eye coordination must be messed up. My cutting was never right. Now I"m struggling with my quarter inch seam.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:24 AM

I have had trouble with the 2 1/2 in strip die buckling and the 5 in sq not cutting accurately each time. I wish I had never spent the money for them
Old 12-22-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
I have only used my Accuquilt Go for appliques except for raggy quilt squares. I found that lining up the squares with the fringes already cut is difficult for me, so I would not buy that die if I had it to do over.
The way I do the rag die is to cut my middle layer (usually flannel) one inch smaller so I use the 6 inch square die to cut that. Then I put the backing fabric then the batting square then the front fabric on the rag die. When I have a them all cut that way it's easy to pick up and sew two together. The cut snips stay flat. I can make a large rag quilt in a day from start to finish.