Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Had an experience yesterday that I thought I'd share. I was about half way through a large fairly dense design when I started having thread break after thread break. Not just the top thread, about every other time was the bobbin thread. I've never had problems like this before. After going through all the usual remedies(rethread machine top and bottom, slowing it down, new needle, clean and oil machine, etc.) it was still happening so I shut the machine off and called it a day. I kept thinking about it though and it was driving me nuts. What was I missing? then I remembered something I've read about but never actually thought about it. Humidity. It's winter, the heat is on all the time and I don't have a humidifier. I put a bowl of water on both of the heat vents and closed the door over night. This morning I finished up my project without one single thread break. Christmas Calavera from Urban Threads.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564466[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032569.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	564466  
Old 12-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Wow! Who would of thought?

Thank you for this important "heads up"!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 AM

I never thought of that, I just firgued the needle just got hot from working so hard. I will have to give that a try.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Had an experience yesterday that I thought I'd share. I was about half way through a large fairly dense design when I started having thread break after thread break. Not just the top thread, about every other time was the bobbin thread. I've never had problems like this before. After going through all the usual remedies(rethread machine top and bottom, slowing it down, new needle, clean and oil machine, etc.) it was still happening so I shut the machine off and called it a day. I kept thinking about it though and it was driving me nuts. What was I missing? then I remembered something I've read about but never actually thought about it. Humidity. It's winter, the heat is on all the time and I don't have a humidifier. I put a bowl of water on both of the heat vents and closed the door over night. This morning I finished up my project without one single thread break. Christmas Calavera from Urban Threads.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564466[/ATTACH]

Cari
Awesome . looks dense
Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
I have a friend who owns an Elna sew/emb. combo machine and I believe she said its a 2006 but she doesn't have the manual. She l ives on a fixed income (elderly) and I'd like to help her with the embroidery part but I don't know what format Elna uses, i.e. my babylock uses .pes Any help would be appreciated.
Forgive me for not seeing this sooner. The Elna and Janome use .jef
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=slbram17;7725152]I love the lettering especially on the smaller oval or scalloped tags/coasters? What kind of machine are you using? My Brother has difficulty with smaller font sizes (even the built in small option).[/QUOTE

Sorry to be so late in answering, SLBRAM17, but I just got back on here. I actually used my Brother PE 770 for the smaller coasters. OMA does a great job on her digitizing, I think. I did the larger applique items on my Babylock Esante.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 AM

Thank you. Someone suggested using sixty weight thread and smaller needle.?
Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 AM

I was having thread breakage too but found out I needed to bump up the size needle I was using. Back in 2000 when embroidery machines became the rage we were taught to use a 75/11 needle. Seems since then the normal size needle is larger. I had to go up to a 90/14 to finally get the thread to play nicely. Got thru a 45 minute design without a break. So I've decided to use my huge lot of 75/11 needles for piecing from now on.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Love this thread. I will get some pictures of my two UFOs and post them. I have two southwest quilt tops with embroidery waiting to be quilted.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 AM

I was making some refrigerator handles a few weeks ago and was having constant thread breakage. I thought it was my needle, so I changed from the 75/11 to the 80/12 - still constant breakage. Finally changed my thread and had no further breakage. Because I had a lot of thread from previously doing some bowling shirts for a league, my thread was old. So to double check, I took a strand and pulled it - and it broke (took a little strength, but it DID break). So I realized my thread was too old. This is why, I guess, we should not get overly excited when we start out with an embroidery machine and buy a lot of thread colors. Just another check to do when we have thread breaks. Oh, well, at least I figured it out.