Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why make quilting so hard? >

Why make quilting so hard?

Why make quilting so hard?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 AM

Look at the quilts you made when you first started then at the quilts you make now and think how much better the next group will be. If you don't start and learn you will never get better. i do love some my first quilts as much as the later ones because of the memories and the lessons.I had never sewn before I was invited to a quilters meeting and saw what they were doing and now 8 years later I do consider myself a quilter. It's the love put in them that counts.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I don't have puckers or cut off points and my seams match. Doing it easy doesn't mean doing it messy. Making easier choices that gave the same results as the hard ones was my ah ha moment.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I usually trim the batting a little before I put on the binding, but leave an inch or so of batting and backing. Then I sew the binding onto the quilt with the usual 1/4 inch seam. Now I put my ruler on the sewing line and measure from there. Usually 3/8 of an inch will fill up a 2 1/2 inch binding. If your binding was three inches, you need more on the outside of your sewing line. By measuring from the sewing line, the binding always has the same width to cover all around the quilt.
I would never do all that for binding. I turn my binding until the edge of the quilt layer stops the turn. That will be the width of it all around the quilt doesn't matter what width it is as long as it's the same on all four sides. I have utility quilts for the grands that are years old, washed many times and the binding hasn't frayed at all. The first few quilts I made with full stuffed binding as per the book, that binding is fraying and the bindings were made from quality fabrics. I would prefer my binding not to fray instead of being made to fit a rule.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

i think some people make it hard. and some make it hard so they can look like a quilting genius.
i make it all look so easy. you are only putting 2 layers of fabric under the needle at a time, and even curves are the straight piece under the needle, it's it before and after that is curved. If you look at it that way, it's all easy.
i was quilting before i knew it was quilting. i started at 7 with my grandmas scraps. I was doing yo yos as my grandma taught me and sewing squares together. it was all easy then.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Finished is better than perfect
Old 01-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Exactly! Part of the fun of a hobby is the learning process. When it's no longer fun, it's no longer a good hobby. Imo.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM

I tell my students that one of the reasons we ALL have UFOs is that the project stopped being fun and became work. One of the easiest ways to keep it fun is to look at it in segments (especially T-Shirts quilts) and as each thing is done (cutting, piecing, layout, etc) congrats yourself on the job done. We all work better when we give ourselves an occasional high five! Precise cutting and stitching come with practice and the only way you get practice is to do the job. If you get frustrated and put it to the side, you will not get better - simple. Too often you see someone get hung up on 'quilt rules'. With the exception of how fabric works or if you are submitting the quilt to be judged, YOU get to make the decisions and the rules. And, sometimes it won't work out and that's ok. It can be a wonderful donation quilt or just think of it as having 'unique design elements'.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 AM

Great advice! Enjoy the process.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 AM

People vary about what they will accept in their own work. Some are definitely perfectionists and some aren't (I am in the latter category). I look at the first quilt I did, and I just smile. The seams aren't straight, there are a couple of points cut off, and it is very pinky/girly (something I am NOT). However it is now with the baby daughter of one of my son's friends, and they love it. It is used all the time, and it holds up to washing well. I told them to just wear it out because it wasn't very good, they laughed, and they do. Note that I didn't give myself permission to gift that first quilt for at least 8 years, but I realized life is too short for obsessions LOL!

These days I am more careful with cutting and piecing because it makes the assembly job much easier. I give myself a lot of leeway on the quilting because the unevenness of the stitch length isn't really noticeable after washing anyway. My stitches are getting much better just because of practice, and the last quilt I made went together without a single issue. I was never interested in competition quilting, which is a good thing since mine will never get admitted! I do enjoy quilting though.

Pam

ETA link to the little quilt I talked about. Done and loved is better than perfect.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t261656.html

Last edited by CanoePam; 01-05-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Onebyone, your post brings up an important aspect of quilting. I quilt to be happy. Therefore, if I make choices along the way that are not mainstream it doesn't matter, because I am happy. If I were quilting to show off, I would never be happy. I use recycled materials because I am comfortable with the cost and feel good about the ecological issues that matter to me. I am never so true to myself as when I am working on a quilt and it feels sooooo good!