Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler foot and template set. No longarm needed. Have you tried it? >

Ruler foot and template set. No longarm needed. Have you tried it?

Ruler foot and template set. No longarm needed. Have you tried it?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 PM

I saw the catalog also and wondered how hard it is to use the rulers. I'll watch this thread.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM

I saw a couple demos at shows. It's not as easy as it looks. Atleast not for me.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 AM

3 issues of Machine Quilters Unlimited (check their website and you can order back issues)in 2016 had articles on using special foot and rulers on DSM
Old 01-06-2017, 04:46 AM

I have both the Janome foot and the clear one from Patsy Thompson. I like the clear one best. It is easier to put on the machine and has better visibility. It takes some practice to get used to using the rulers but once you learn it, it is fun. Make sure your rulers are not too long as they have to work within your harp space. Start by working with the straight ruler as curves are more difficult. Then move to the curved rulers. Have fun!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:15 AM

I got the Westalee starter set for my Brother innovis 4000D. Comes with the foot and 1 ruler (straight on one side and curved on the other). I found it amazingly easy to use--I love it. I was able to quilt a border so precisely after just playing with it for 10 minutes max. The problem is that these rulers are so expensive. I guess I will buy them as I find a need for them.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:05 PM

I bought the foot and a few templates of the Westalee system. At first I found it hard to keep the foot against the side of the template but with practice very quickly mastered it. Some of the templates come with stick on grips but I did find that the templates did move on the fabric more than I expected so decided to add more to the template, I bought a non slip rubber mat, cut it the same width as double sided tape fixed the tape to it then cut down the center of the tape to make narrow pieces than cut them to the length I needed. A placed these on the template making sure not to cover any of the guide line markings. Problem solved, have been having lots of fun, and am now saving up to buy the feathers template.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:35 PM

I have the starter set, snowflakes and feathers. I love them and use them a lot! They have helped me take my FMQ to the next level and the ruler work can make for some fantastic designs too! We got mine from Nancy's Notions. I recommend watching as many videos on using them as you can and it will help you get started. I even took a Craftsy class on how to work with them. They're a lot of fun!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Becky, I have been all over the internet looking at this. I'm glad to hear you are happy with them and enjoy it. I just ordered a foot and rulers. I'm crossing my fingers on this one and hope I'll enjoy it too!
Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
You might want to check with your machine's manufacturer, as there may already be a ruler quilting foot available specific to your machine, as there was for my Janome.
Thanks for the tip. I also use a Janome and I will visit my LQS (darn it!).