Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Room >

Quilting Room

Quilting Room

Old 12-30-2016, 04:01 AM

I've done many crafts over the last couple of years, from quilting, to fiber crafts (dolls, pumpkins etc) to pulp paper ornaments, and now learning wool applique. I need to clean out closets and storage containers and patterns and simply keep my fabric for quilts and wool applique. But as soon as I donate something I find a use for it and want it back. Simply must settle on one or two crafts!!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:22 AM

3 yr ago, l took out the desk & odd pieces holding my machines. My sewingroom is also the laundry, handy with ironing board & all, but l wanted a better flow. The restore in our area was an inexpensive source for a vanity base, a kitchen top cabinet ( new!), and a bank of drawers.With the addition of a home built L shaped counter ( using the wall & vanity as support,) my hubby made one end of the room my sewing area. The machines are set into holes in the counter ( which is the perfect ht. for my office chair on wheels). The cabinet hangs on the wall, holding my basting spray, starch, patterns etc.I designed & he built a sturdy cutting table on casters, utilizing those drawers under the top for my tools. There's a large cubby beneath for my clear fabric containers. A pegboard hung above the table hold my rulers & a clipboard ( notes to self,lol).The casters were necesary as this heavy item might need to be moved if the washer/dryer need service.

Last edited by stitch678; 12-30-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 AM

I have not moved in over 30 years been sewing for about 10 years, moved my stuff from one room to another...since then I have decided to NEVER move. The Hubbs and I have a deal call Mayflower and he will call me after it has been reinstalled when we have to move elsewhere!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Oh my yes! In fact, before I begin anything, I'm moving EVERYTHING in that little room! The dust and thread and little bits of fabric could probably make another quilt! sigh.....
Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Default reorganizing

I have helped many friends reorganize their sewing rooms and my recommendation is take everything out and then organize as you put it back. It has worked beautifully. However, I have issues doing that in my sewing room. duh! I reorganized my sewing room about 6 weeks ago. After 2 days of sewing, it was difficult to think it was clean before I started. I can destroy a room in just a few hours. I am so talented in the destruction mode. Good luck. wish I was close and I could come help you.

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
I actually finished the projects I was working on two days before Christmas so now I'm working on a list for next year. I looked around at my quilting room and decided I needed to rearrange things to make the flow better. I dread moving the two floor to ceiling bookcase DH built but he assures me he will not grouch while he helps me. If you have a dedicated sewing room do you ever just toss everything out of the space and clean or rearrange?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Yep. But we had to repaint too so it made it an easier decision. We hadn't painted since we moved in in '92 and had some issues that needed doing. I still am not done, but most of my fabric is out on bookshelves and I'm still trying to finish that up. Still need to hang a design wall and get a good ironing area set up, but a little bit at a time for me.