Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqué with embroidery thread question. >

Appliqué with embroidery thread question.

Appliqué with embroidery thread question.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Appliqué with embroidery thread question.

I'm working on a project. My appliqué pieces are already attached with fusible web. I now want to do my blanket stitching with embroidery thread. Pattern says to use 2 strands and I am not liking the way it's looking. It's a brown house on a light background. Using thread to match the house. Should I be using thread to match the background? Or try a single strand?

Also, should I be doing this with a hoop? It is very floppy. Or shoul I try a tear away stabilizer? Worried about the hand stitching tearing away during removal.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 AM

I have used embroidery thread - 2 strands - to match the applique'. It is floppy, but depending on the size of the project, I sometimes put my batting on and stitch through that. If you are going to quilt the background after applique' stitching, I would not worry about the floppy. It will all come together when it is quilted and finished.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Is this going to be a wall hanging or a bed quilt? If it's a wall hanging and you're not worried about stiffness, you could use a stabilizer. I like to use a product called Form Flex (or maybe it's Flex Form? I get it from my LQS and have found it at Joann's), you iron it on (permanent) and it gives some body to the fabric. It also hides the embroidery thread travels and tails so they don't show through to the front. I like the idea Deb gave about stitching through the batting, also.

Nothing says you can't use a hoop, especially if it makes it easier to embroider.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

sometimes, i match the item, others, i'll use black thread. i also use iron on light weight interfacing for all things embroidered. it hides the threads while traveling. Would you like to show us what you are working on?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565779[/ATTACH]Here's my picture. I've started the embroidery along top of roof. Not sure if you can see it. I had to change resolution on the photo to get it to upload. It's for a wall hanging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.JPG
Views:	1039
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	565779  
Old 01-15-2017, 09:23 PM

I prefer a hoop when doing any type of embroidery, easier I think. I have not done any (by hand) around an appliqued item yet, but when I do just an embroidery block I like to either double the fabric, use a thin batting, or light weight interfacing. Try using only one strand and see if you like it better. And, I would stick w/thread to match the house because you don't want little lite colored nips on your house. I wonder too if your thread needs to be pulled a bit tighter? It looks kinda loose to me, but that could just be the angle. Cute block either way!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I prefer a hoop when doing any type of embroidery, easier I think. I have not done any (by hand) around an appliqued item yet, but when I do just an embroidery block I like to either double the fabric, use a thin batting, or light weight interfacing. Try using only one strand and see if you like it better. And, I would stick w/thread to match the house because you don't want little lite colored nips on your house. I wonder too if your thread needs to be pulled a bit tighter? It looks kinda loose to me, but that could just be the angle. Cute block either way!
Yes, I think the loose sewing is what is bothering me, which is why I thought the hoop would help. But, first I'll try to get something behind the piece. I think I'll have to iron on all the other pieces before I put something on the back. If it still doesn't look right, I will probably do on my machine.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:16 AM

it really depends on if you want the thread to show, if not then I'd do one strand and make the needle go in where it doesn't show as much. There are more ways than one and it depends on what you want the final results to be. I've done them without a hoop but that's a personal preference
Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 AM

Use a hoop to hold the fabric taut. Apply lightweight interfacing to the entire back of the block/project. Then embroider. Some people are using one strand of Auriful to embroider instead of embroidery floss. No idea what weight the Auriful is as I have tons of floss.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 AM

I do a lot of blanket stitching by hand around appliqué or sometimes pieced blocks. It looks to me like your stitches are too loose. I usually use 2 strands of embroidery floss and no hoop or stabilizers. Sometimes the stitches look a little wonky but as I go further along they get much better. I think the most important thing about doing the hand blanket stitching is to just get it as even as possible. But whatever works best for you. There is no law that I know of that dictates just how it must be done. LOL This will be a cute wall hanging. Here is picture of a wall hanging I did for my best friend for Christmas. I used 2 strands of floss around all the parts of the snowmen.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565931[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snowmen.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	565931