Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How difficult is making a bargello? >

How difficult is making a bargello?

How difficult is making a bargello?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:38 PM

I am new to quilting but fell in love with one called Southwest Movement. I took no classes. If you can read directions and stay organized its easy. I even made this bed runner bigger. This is the only kind of quilt I now want to do. Go for it. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:12 PM

This is my advice. Easy to do as long as you keep those strips labeled and laying I order.
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
I took an online class to learn Bargello technique because I was a beginning quilter. I was actually surprised by how easy the technique is (as long as you've done enough quilting to understand what various terms mean). My best bit of advice: with a safety pin and a scrap of paper, number each column. A design board of some sort is really helpful, too.

Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 AM

I was pretty apprehensive to make a bargello and purchased the class from Leah Day. It looks like an excellent resource so when I'm ready to attempt a bargello, this is how I will do my first.
She must have had some sale going on, that's how I almost always buy classes.
If I turn it 90 degrees, it is almost exactly the size I want it to be

https://leahday.com/products/waterfa...gello-workshop
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM

It's not that difficult, especially if you choose a simpler pattern to start with. My first bargello, done last year, was Surf Song from Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright. It's all strip piecing and the only hard thing (for me!) is keeping yourself super organized. Buy the book, as Dina suggested. You can teach yourself from it. ~Linda
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 PM

Bargello is the simplest quilt ever with very rewarding results. Just follow instructions, remember to take black & white pictures of your fabrics to get them the right order, sew your strips together, alternate the ends you start sewing at, label your strips. Matching seams is easy - you may want to press each strip alternating which way you press the seams so they "snick" together nicely. A very rewarding quilt to make since everyone assumes it is difficult.
Then you will be ready to make a Ricky Timms Convergence quilt - )
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 AM

If it helps there are a number of free patterns you can get for bargello quilts, I just googled free bargello quilt patterns. Connecting Threads have several...

http://letsquiltsomething.blogspot.c...kona-roll.html
http://quilting-fabric.connectingthr...gello-patterns
Old 01-31-2017, 07:36 AM

I did not see any free patterns on Connecting Threads. The first one says free, but actually costs $9.00.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:15 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I also would like to try one but thought it would be way above my skill levels. Just added it back to my to do list.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I did not see any free patterns on Connecting Threads. The first one says free, but actually costs $9.00.
Well, that stinks. I called them, the "free part" was listing the technique and fabric measurments, but the pattern itself was a designer and cost $9. I let her know it was very decieving and she was going to pass it along. Just goes to show, always read the fine print!