Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking >

Tracking

Tracking

Old 02-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I know how much I paid for my sewing machines. As far as die cut machine, dies, books, patterns, rulers, notions, thread, and fabric I couldn't care less how much I spent on them. I keep track of my fabric by if I have the color I want I use it if not I go buy more.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Don't know, don't care. I'm enjoying myself and it all stays confined to one small room, so I can't pack too much in. Can't afford to either.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM

I use YNAB for budgeting (the older, non-subscription version). I made quilting a line item in my budget, so all purchases just go to that line. If I wanted to track it further, I could add notes (and those notes would then be searchable)-- like "notions", "fabric for x quilt", etc. I haven't bothered to do that though.

I only started actually budgeting to make sure I was meeting specific monthly savings goals (specifically, "saving for college" and "build new house"). Some months I go over what I'd ideally spend, but that's what overtime is for

Really though, I'm a "cover all the needs" first person, so make sure I have all my savings and bills covered first, then anything extra goes to "wants"-- like fancy cheese, good chocolate, a new "toy", fun fabric, etc. As long as I don't have to steal from the "important" funds to cover purchases, I'm not too worried about how much I'm spending on fabric.

The only thing I have noted separately is anything I buy specifically for donation blankets and quilts, so that I can better determine that as a deduction on my taxes.

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 02-03-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Default Tracking with 'Neat Receipts'

I use this scanner to tally such info as the vendor/shop where I bought something, records cost, sales tax, date, and 'type of purchase' directly from the scanned receipt. And allows notes to be added. Puts it all in Excel format. Then, the viewable receipts remain available in the computer file. I've used this for a few years and really like it. No paper copies are required and the record satisfies any IRS reporting, if needed.
Very nice formatting and report styles. The scanner can be used for all kinds of records actually. There's a portable scanner that's nice for purchases made during travel too.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM

as a do long arm quilting for others, I have to separate my expenses--if it's business related, I keep all receipts and documentation for tax purposes. I also have one credit card dedicated to just my quilting business which helps keep those receipts sorted.

For my personal quilting, I don't really do a strict budget--but since I use a credit card for about everything, and pay it in total at end of month, I have a reality check on what I'm spending on a monthly basis.

Since I sew personal quilts upstairs and have my long arm in the basement--where a notion, backing, etc ends up determines whether it is a business expense for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 PM

No, I don't. I make things to give away, or for myself. It's a hobby for me, and I don't need to know or care what I've spent. I buy what I like utilizing sales and coupons and gather fabrics for projects that are rolling around in my brain. I also trade fabric with a friend. I have a nice sized stash that keeps growing!! That being said, if money were an issue I certainly would be more prudent with purchases and monitor my spending. Many people track their spending for business or tax purposes. Just do what's right for you!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 PM

No I don't keep track because I don't have a need to. I'm not very prolific and don't have a stash. I do keep track of how much I spend when making purchases for a project. It keeps my spending in check.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 PM

When the shelves are full, I know I have too much fabric. I'm not a very organized person, so can only suggest one thing for organization that works very well, organized or not.

When you buy fabric, as soon as you walk into your home, measure it and put a label on it with the size of the piece of fabric. Use cut off selvage, either write the fabric dimensions on it or put a blank sticky backed address label on the selvage. Tie the selvage around the piece of fabric. Put it away using whatever method you use to organize.

This has two advantages: a) NO pins to poke yourself with, b) you don't have to unfold the fabric to see how much you have.

The selvage/label works if you use the comic board books, too.

I think I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about organzing your stuff. I have never done that...it's too much like work. What's important to me is to not go into debt with my habit!

Last edited by cathyvv; 02-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:58 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

(Nancy Garrigan....) Whyyyyyyy??!!!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:47 PM

Not blooming likely ������ it's my hobby and my enjoyment, I know how much my machines have cost, but everything else I haven't got a clue, I've only got a small sewing room, so can't fit too much in, but I also buy fabrics as and when I see them for making clothes for myself. Also when I come to US I usually splurge and buy loads of fabric for quilting as it's cheaper than in the UK.