Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
January Postcard Swap - Wacky Holidays >

January Postcard Swap - Wacky Holidays

January Postcard Swap - Wacky Holidays

Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanks Miriam, yesterday I sat down to troubleshoot the problem & it miraculously worked fine...it had gotten a good oiling not long ago...I think it was operator error.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I didn't get my card in the mail until the last minute- but, she should receive it today. I did Punch the Clock! I've felt that way all month so it seemed fitting
i didn't take a final picture of it because I was hurrying to get it to the post office. Sorry. I hope Pat can get a picture. ( nhnative)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Thanks Miriam, yesterday I sat down to troubleshoot the problem & it miraculously worked fine...it had gotten a good oiling not long ago...I think it was operator error.
It could be the oil just needed time to soak in. Most problems with sewing machines are operator error. I had one yesterday I thought was operator error. I was trying to sew on a Davis Vertical Feed, a late 1800's long bobbin. It just made knots. I finally figured out it had a bent bobbin carrier. The back end of the shuttle didn't seat so thread was going in the slots, pulling up and making a big mess down under. I kept retreading thinking it was user error. Finally I watched it make a stitch. And process of eliminating everything else figured the carrier was bent.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:54 PM

miriam, haha, joke was on me, yes I could now select embroidery stitches then -- then -- about to continue my project and needle wasn't picking up thread, would operate merrily along without stitching anything. Argh! I heard a rattle then my needle broke. Double argh! Fooled around, everything *seemed* right, slept on it, changed needle, then remembered I had filled a new bobbin with the color thread I wanted to use. Changed bobbin back to the one I was using earlier - fixed. Did not like its bobbin, soooo --- ordering some that are supposed to fit. Setbacks!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

K-roll, I've had two days in a row feeling sewing machine stupid. First, yesterday I tried to use my 1880s Davis. It shredded and made thread knots all over the place. I studied it for a long time then figured out it had a bent shuttle carrier. Ok not much I can do with that until I'm in the shop. So today I thought I would sew on a Brother I had brought over. I had already cleaned and oiled it but I must not have test sewn with it. The darn thing was spitting out bobbins as fast as I put them in. First I thought maybe the bobbins were malformed or rusted or something weird so I looked them over, tried a NEW out of the box bobbin. Same thing... Eject. All over the bottom of the case. So I thought maybe I should clean the bobbin area just in case there was dried up oil. Nope. I had already cleaned that whole mess. So I fished out a box of bobbin cases and tried a different bobbin case. Maybe there was something I didn't see. Nope. So I got thinking maybe somebody used the wrong bobbin case. Sure enough it needed a long slot bobbin case. Geez, I knew that. I've been using the machine between visitors and loving my Brother.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Default Jan Fabric Postcard

I received my January postcard today from ckcowl. It's Punch the Clock Day. How cute is that. Thank you so much for the cute postcard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02125.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	567452  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 AM

How cute is that! Nice job ckcowl!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:03 PM

I love love LUV the punch the clock card ckcowl - it gave me a great laugh. I am someone on whom alarm clocks had no effect...whatever dreams I had would just incorporate the ringing. I just love your image.

Miriam, I hate those days...when one's planned to actually put something together but no - instead spend all the time troubleshooting! When I worry about being inept forever - I tell myself someday I will be "ept"...
Old 02-04-2017, 02:13 PM

I got my card from Miriam Thursday morning :-) I just love this swap. It is so much fun to get something special in the mail just for me. Thank you again Miriam. Happy Backwards Day!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	backwards day.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	567477  
Old 02-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Cute, cute, cute. Nice work.