Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with sewing blocks together >

need help with sewing blocks together

need help with sewing blocks together

Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM

thank you all for your good suggestions, I have pieced one row and pressed the seams open, it might work......
Old 02-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Sashing was my first idea too. If you use the same light fabric as in the background, it will look like your blocks are floating. That would look lovely.

The other option (as already mentioned) is to rotate one block by 90 degrees clockwise. That now aligns the adjoining point sections so one is pressed inward and one is pressed outward. Therefore they lock. On the next row you'd have to alternate.

The final option is to accept that they don't nest and sew them together as is. Yes, you'll have a bulky seam but that can be pressed/beaten into submission.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:54 PM

I like that 'beaten into submission', I will try to press them open thanks again for your great advise ..
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Sashing was my first idea too. If you use the same light fabric as in the background, it will look like your blocks are floating. That would look lovely.

The other option (as already mentioned) is to rotate one block by 90 degrees clockwise. That now aligns the adjoining point sections so one is pressed inward and one is pressed outward. Therefore they lock. On the next row you'd have to alternate.

The final option is to accept that they don't nest and sew them together as is. Yes, you'll have a bulky seam but that can be pressed/beaten into submission.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM

I would use 3 pins. One goes through the points and then pin to secure either side of it. Your blocks look great.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:44 PM

I just did a storm at sea, and I pressed the first seam one direction, and the second the other (so one toward the outside, the other toward the inside) so that way they did nest when I sewed the ends together.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 PM

thank you, I am doing just that, using 3 pins and then I sew about inch length, just to see if I have points right, if yes, then I go and sew the whole length of the block, so far it is working well.
Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
I would use 3 pins. One goes through the points and then pin to secure either side of it. Your blocks look great.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 PM

I learned the hard way with a Storm at Sea that it helps to press open those seams that come to the point--bigger hassle, but it solved the "nesting" (or lack of) problem. So for the future! I like several of the suggestions given already. I will say that I had another quilt, a UFO that I started before I had a clue what I was really doing, and had the same issue with the points coming together and lots of seams on one side. I knew when I got it on the LA that I needed to avoid a quilting pattern that would A) go through that mob of seams and B) quilt around them too close so that I ended up with little knobs where they came togather. I also used my plastic 3lb mallet and wet the quilt and put a board under it and one on top of the knob and flattened it. It really did help.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Sometimes they just don't nest. I would not add sashing, I usually don't like sashings. Just sew the blocks together matching the seam lines the best you can. You will have some thicker areas where the seams are joined, but once it is quilted you won't notice them!.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:26 AM

As stated it is not always possible to have all seams nest nicely.......just sew over that bulk slowly...my "darling" bl gives me a tough time doing that every time, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I think even Eleanor Burns has had to do it!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:49 AM

You have my sympathy as I have just encountered the same problem joining this type of block with an Ohio Star. It has been an absolute disaster. I have tried clipping and fanning out the seams, but it makes for a very untidy appearance and there are still bumps. I looked on You Tube, I think it was a Fons and Porter tutorial, which suggests pressing the seams open. It also defines the X much better than pressing to one side. I am going to try this with diamond blocks, and a prayer! By the way, I still think you have a done a magnificent job on your blocks, I wish mine looked half as good.