Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dreaded Oak Mite again this summer >

Dreaded Oak Mite again this summer

Dreaded Oak Mite again this summer

Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
oh my goodness. lady bug in your tea! My house gets them all the time. found a tiny frog dead in my sewing room windowsill. How he got there is beyond me. i put him out in the garden in case he came back to life. rain didn't do it for him though. long ago i found one thought to be very dead and he came back to life. amazing.
When I lived in El Paso, TX stables where we had the horses in dessert would come to life with frogs everywhere - when it rained. As 7" was normal rainfall there one year we had over 12" and many thousands of frogs, when it dried up they went back down into sand and waited for next rain. VERY strange to say the least. And dessert where we rode normally brush was 1-2' high was so high you couldn't see over in on horseback. Like a huge high corn field. Not many trees and one main roads from El Paso to Alaramagdo, NM had the National forest, and it was two trees with big sign. .
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 PM

I can certainly sympathize with you all on the loss of trees due to drought. When we were at the height of our drought several years ago we lost hundreds of thousands of trees in the Houston area. Most from the drought itself but many from the after effects of being weakened and thus vulnerable to disease and insects. The city and many other organizations have been planting trees everywhere possible. On a side note - if you have a dead tree on your property and do not get it removed and it falls and damages your property or your neighbor's, many insurance companies will not pay off because you did not remove a known danger.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:25 PM

I see the spiders are crawling around and it is minus 18 this morning and lots of snow. Haven't had a winter like this for a number of years or so cold and windy in Southcentral Alaska.