Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me? >

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

What can I possibly do with this gifted fabric? Can someone help me?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I would first take a large square of it, fringe it 2-3 inches deep all the way around, then zigzag around just above the fringe to keep it from fraying any more, then wear it as a shawl with a large pin on the shoulder to hold it.
That's a great idea. So easy and quick too!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 AM

I think you must begin by identifying the content of this piece. It is much better to sacrifice a small scrap of the material rather than create something which is not suited for the purpose intended. If you make a kilt I see no use for it unless you plan to learn to play the bagpipe. A tablecloth sounds nice but what happens if someone spills gravy. Do not create pillows unless they fit your decorating plan as they may spend their days tucked away in some closet. Take the material to a fabric shop or quilter whom you trust and ask for their help in identifying the fabric content. You will then know how the piece must be handled and be able to make a better decision regarding just what you should do with it. A search on your computer will also give you some direction regarding identifying the fabric content. I might also suggest you check the salvage to see if there is any information which would help you in your search. This is a lovely piece and can be used for something which you will enjoy very much. A little research may go a long way toward helping you make a plan. Good luck. Anxious to see what you do with it.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 AM

A friend asked me to make her a skirt from Scottish fabric. NOT for quilts! I agree with the shawl idea.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 AM

Knowing you Pat, I think the idea of a shawl is perfect. It will keep you warm while reminding you of the love of a friend who thought enough of you to bring the fabric back from Scotland. Monday/Tuesday gals will have some good ideas too. Mary

Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM

Make a chenille scarf out of it or two.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:59 AM

I wouldn't touch it!!!
I would lovingly admire it!
Kirsten
Old 03-04-2017, 08:37 AM

Make winter scarf. Make Christmas wall hanging, with brass bells on the bottom which is sewn to a point . Make dining table runner. Cover fireplace mantle,with it so it hangs down in points or folds. Look up mantle covers on the web. Or... keep it until you have that ah ha moment.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Oh Pudge, That would be perfect.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:25 AM

If you are not sure if it is wool you can test it. Wool dissolves in bleach. Cut a tiny piece from an edge and put it in a bowl with a small amount of bleace\h. If it dissolves, it's pure wool. If some of the fibers dissolve but not all, it is a wool blend. If none of it dissolves, let the test fabric dry out. The burn it. If it turns into ash, it is cotton. If it melts into hard balls, it is polyester. If you have ash and hard balls, it's a cotton poly blend.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Wow, that is pretty! A friend of mine uses beautiful pieces of fabric all the time as table cloths. She has the perfect size table for it though, I do not. I really like the shawl idea too. But you did say it is 60 x 60 inches so you could just layer it with a nice solid batting, quilt it and make yourself a pretty little throw.