Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
westalee templates? >

westalee templates?

westalee templates?

Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I have purchased the Westalee Ruler Foot and a couple of templates. I have a Brother PQ1500S, and have no trouble quilting with the FMQ foot that came with it. It does a great job. I took the Brother FMQ foot off, and inserted the Westalee Foot. I made no changes, but the thread now breaks about every two inches. I am getting so frustrated. I changed the needle, tried different threads, and adjusted the top tension. So far it is not working.

Do any of you have any suggestions on things I can try?
Have you emailed Brian at Westalee Rulers? They are very helpful and prompt.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 AM

If you can't take a class, there are things that look like washers that fit over pens, pencils, and you can draw the template out on a piece of paper. The papers that come with the templates often do not have any instructions on how to use the extra markings. I bought the spacers, used a pencil and did find out how the markings worked.

https://topanchorquilting.com/products/foot-gems

Other places also have them. They are well worth it since you can play with ANY template before using it on a good quilt.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 AM

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread as I've been curious about the rulers for ruler work quilting for a long time. Since this thread started I've done some research & I think I've settle on the Fine Line rulers. I do have a question about the pegs that stick up. One review said that the pegs got in the way in areas of her machine. I can't find that review anymore & don't know what kind of machine she was using. Anyone had problems with the pegs being too tall?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I have purchased the Westalee Ruler Foot and a couple of templates. I have a Brother PQ1500S, and have no trouble quilting with the FMQ foot that came with it. It does a great job. I took the Brother FMQ foot off, and inserted the Westalee Foot. I made no changes, but the thread now breaks about every two inches. I am getting so frustrated. I changed the needle, tried different threads, and adjusted the top tension. So far it is not working.

Do any of you have any suggestions on things I can try?
In addition to the usual, new needle, making sure needle matches thread, etc. Have you tried lowering the foot a little? When FMQ with a floating ruler foot, you can sometimes have problems with stitch formation which will lead to thread breakage if your foot to too high off the fabric. The spacer that comes with the Westalee foot is helpful for an initial guideline, but you may need to lower the foot more than what the spacer indicates depending on your quilt. You want the foot to just barely skim the fabric or float just slightly above it so you can easily move the fabric.

Rob
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM

I just spent 3 days at a "Ruler Camp" working with the Westalee rulers and foot. I also have a Brother 1500 and had the exact same issues all 3 days. And I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped. Now that I am back home, my machine will be going in for servicing so I can find out what is causing these problems. Because I wanted the practice using the rulers while I was at the camp, I continued on, but now I will be taking out all that stitching because it is a mess on the back (the fronts don't look too bad) and it was a quilt-as-you go project and I want the backs looking good too. So I will be getting additional practice with the rulers after my machine comes home from servicing. I will let you know what the tech guy as to say about what's causing the problems. I really like what you can do with these rulers. We did some amazing stuff. Just have to figure out how to make it all look good. Even with the Westalee foot on, I could do free motion quilting with no problems, but when I tried to use the rulers is when I had issues. Drove me nuts for 3 whole days!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Judy - Thanks for the input. I can quilt with my regular FWS foot and the quilting is perfect! I cannot get 2" and the thread breaks with the Westalee Foot. It does not make sense! I will try the helpful ideas from rryder, particularly the foot barely skimming the fabric, maybe I have it set too high. I really want to learn how to do this!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Something I haven't heard of. Guess I better get to checking these templates out.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM

rryder - Thank you for the suggestion of lowering the foot. That did help a huge amount!

JudyG - I found that I had the Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment Dial still set for regular sewing. I moved it all the way to the top, with my Thread Tension Gauge set to 3. Those changes, plus lowering the foot as rryder suggested made a huge difference! I was able to go around my sample square numerous times without it breaking! Yay!

I am taking the Crafsty Class, I hope to learn some tips from her! Anyway, so pleased with my progress in getting as far as I am today.

Thank you so much!!!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:17 PM

I didn't even think of changing the pressure foot adjustment. I will try that before taking my machine in for servicing and hope it helps. I have also ordered the Organ HLX5 needles and will see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions. You will love Amy's Craftsy classes. I have both of them and she is a wonderful teacher. Let's hope we both get this down pat.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:45 PM

JudyG - I usually use the Signature Titanium Needles (they last soooo long), but when I changed to the Organ HLX5's that really helped too. Forgot to mention that, I hope all these items will help someone else as well. It is so frustrating to have problems!!!