Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you had your DNA done? >

Have you had your DNA done?

Have you had your DNA done?

Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I would guess that some genealogy records are more accurate (truthful?) than others.

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-04-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM

haven't had my DNA tested, but my understanding is that it gives links to other DNA groups in the world and shows your percentage of each--and may give you links to others with same info.

But with geneology, researchers don't just depend upon"family history" or tales handed down--way too many inaccuracies. When researching, you have to have solid proof--like census, birth & death certificates, land titles, marriage records, etc. And most of us want at least 2-3 items that back each other up on information. Obviously, if the information recorded has been a lie to start with (which has happened on birth certificates and even census records) then it could cause one's DNA to be in conflict with the geneology. Also, in researching, sometimes records have been totally lost--i.e. Irish birth/marriage/death certificates for a chunk of time; US military records for WWI when the archive in St. Louis burnt, etc. In the case of birth certificates, and even marriage records, when the person was not born in a location where record keeping was routine (i.e. our own Great Plains when pioneers migrated). Geneology research is fun but one must be done accurately. DNA is very helpful for those that have no idea about ancestry, or only have parts of family ancestry but want to see what else may be there. Also excellent for those wanting to check for info on DNA to certain groups that are more vulnerable to health risks.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

What information do these DNA tests include?

Are the results shared/sold with/to anyone other than the person ordering the profile?

Would these results highlight our similarities or emphasize our differences. ?

Do the companies refine their processes as they have more customers?

I admit to having some paranoia about the whole idea. Might be due to some of the novels I have read.

A very interesting topic, Jan.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 AM

My sister did it in hopes of connecting with a child that she placed for adoption.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I was watching one of those commercials - i was wondering how specific the results are ."NativeAmerican" for example - Are they able to narrow it to a certain group or groups.

Russia is/was a big country - do the people from the southeast end and the northwest have different characteristics?

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-11-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I was watching one of those commercials - i was wondering how specific the results are ."NativeAmerican" for example - Are they able to narrow it to a certain group or groups.

Russia is/was a big country - do the people from the southeast end and the northwest have different characteristics?
I wondered that myself on how they figure that. As far as the Chippewa tribe, which I am part of, there are about 150 different bands or groups.
One would assume that they have to give a "generalized" version of the ethnic background they found in the DNA. Lumping all Russians, Native American, Chinese etc in their perspective categories.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

The results aren't super specific. The results are broken down by %, totaling 100%. For example, my "top"% was 26% Irish, which is Ireland, Wales and Scotland, with France and English. Knowing my family roots, that made sense. As the % gets smaller, the range got wider. 5% Scandinavian is Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Great Britain, France and 5 other countries. I showed no Native American. (Which runs against family stories). When you look at the criteria they use for Native American, they break it down by areas, as in North, Central, and South American. They then break that down to regions. It wasn't life changing, but sure was fun to do, and did have a couple of "Really???!!" moments. As far as Russia, they distinguished between Northwestern, Eastern, and many, many countries I associate with Russia.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I was reading a blog where a woman and her for sisters had this done - they all had the same biological parents - and the percentages varied quite a bit.

It was something about " which sister is the most Irish?"
Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 AM

I think most of us are a salad bowl of origins........but we identify ourselves by what we know of our background....
Old 06-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Got our results, fascinating. Especially for my husband who father was adopted way back and we could find no records. Very helpful for medical history. As a Chemistry and Biology teacher we did DNA tests in class, simple. I have found several cousins and have become good friends and updated our family trees. Wonderful world