Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people make quilts with flannel? >

Why do people make quilts with flannel?

Why do people make quilts with flannel?

Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM

I used to work in my LQS and did a shrinkage test on our flannels. I tested 5 and only one shrank, less than 1/4 inch in a yard cut. That was cold water wash and warm dryer. Maywood is the only brand I can remember right now. Yes you pay a hefty price but you have a good heavy fabric that is well worth it.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 AM

when first doing charity quilts, I used yard sale sheets for the backs, some of which were flannel. The flannel came out so nice, I started looking for them and even bought flat king size ones when they were on sale at Boscov's for $5. Sadly they haven't had them for awhile. I do wish manufacturers would make the flannel in wider rolls.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM

I have purchased flannel backing that ranges anywhere from 90" to 108".

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
when first doing charity quilts, I used yard sale sheets for the backs, some of which were flannel. The flannel came out so nice, I started looking for them and even bought flat king size ones when they were on sale at Boscov's for $5. Sadly they haven't had them for awhile. I do wish manufacturers would make the flannel in wider rolls.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 PM

flannel is much more cuddly and warmer....... and if you buy the good flannel it doesn't pill
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 PM

When I first started making blankets and quilts I used the JAF snuggle flannel cause I could get it very cheaply on sale, the potential cost of messing up was much less so I had less newbie anxiety plus it wears fine for me, minor pilling on some but my kids don't care and neither does the toddler niece who drags it all over the floor and outside to the sandbox. They have fun prints too. I do watch the quality, some patterns are practically see-through and I avoid those. It's no longer my main fabric but it still has it's place.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:23 AM

Won't touch it for most things. It snags on fingers and just plain feels nasty. I will use it for stuffing a raggy. Sandwiched in between good cotton and good muslin.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 PM

I think they may want to give a flannel quilt as a gift to someone they genuinely think will love it, possibly an adult son or husband.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM

When I make a quilt for use in a cold climate, I do back them with flannel sheets that I buy inexpensively at second hand stores and garage sales. I have even dyed one to color match a quilt when I could find nothing else suitable in color. I get a text every winter to let me know he still loves it (especially now that he lives on the North Pacific Ocean).
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM

I've stated to use minky for my backs! more money but comfy and soft!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:31 PM

I agree with the original poster. I made a flannel rash quilt, which I love, but I don't think it washed or wears as well as regular cotton. In fact, I find it frustrating that I buy flannel that feels nice, and after it is washed it's awful, it fades, and it pills like crazy. I made my granddaughter two night gowns that looked wonderful before they were washed, then they looked terrible.