Hi everyone, I'm new here!

Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Hi everyone, I'm new here!

Hi everyone. I just signed up. I go by Kit Kat. I wondered if I could ask some advice. I love vintage sewing machines. Especially ones that need TLC. However, the other day when I was into my local Sewing machine repair shop, I had a conversation about my vintage machines I own, and I loosely said, I'd really love to have a hand crank machine someday. Maybe a 128 Singer or something. Well the owner takes me over to one he has for sale. Bentwood case, has some splits in the dome in the veneer, couple chips near the bottom. Machine is dirty looking, has an electrical hookup to a motor with light in the compartment in the base. Says, belt is slipping a bit motor just needs tightening. Chips in paint surface and decal worn off in center and edge of machine and front beside needle. Asking $150.00 make me an offer. Well , I didn't know what to offer, finally I throw out $75.00. He says sold. He try's it out for me when I ask how well it runs. Motor sounds a little funny, he says, oh, just needs tightening. It has original accessories in box with some damage to edges. Came with 2 bobbins. (one in machine) One Kenmore large screwdriver. No Singer ones. Original old grease tube in box. Paint peeled off middle of tube where squeezed. I buy it. Get it home, has lint in under long bobbin case, in behind faceplate. Full of white grease on all moving parts behind faceplate and behind plate in back of machine. Pressure regulator frozen, balance wheel screw frozen, tensioner full of brown greasy junk, bobbin winder as well. It took me 7 hours of careful painstaking work to get this machine looking as beautiful as it can for the condition, and everything moving freely less all the dirty and grit. Stitches beautifully and winds bobbins perfectly. Oh, stitch length knob, frozen as well. Anyway, the motor turns out to be arching, will need cleaning maybe armateur, light has a cut in the cord, bare wire showing. This was hooked to one of those plug in little boxes, set into the compartment. One of those kits you can buy to convert a hand machine to electric. Case was originally for a knee control lever and you can tell one time case, had a control box in it. Hole for knee lever has been plugged with white rubber plug, painted black on outside. Did I get ripped off? I assumed the machine had at least been serviced on the inside, and the electrical was safe and that this guy was telling me the truth. He hadn't serviced it at all, unless he was the one who put all the grease on the moving parts inside. Can a sewing machine salesman, serviceman sell machines like this? He has oodles of used refurbished machines, as well as a few brand new Brother High end models. He did say make an offer, and I wanted to be fair, but I wasn't impressed the machine could be worth $150.00. This guy is the only one in town and has been here since the 1960's. Sorry this is so long. Sure would appreciate some input.

Kit Kat
Old 04-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Banned

I would say that since you made the $$ offer that no you didn't get ripped off, but you paid too much for it. Call it a learning experience.

Cari
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM

No your right, I realize that wasn't a good wording, "Ripped Off". But yeah, I figured I paid too much. I just noticed it's missing one screw that holds machine to base too! Gosh, I've gotten far better machines at yard sales, Kijii (like Craigs list in Canada) and at thrift stores for $30.00 and less. One was a 99K in a small cabinet for nothing. Haul if away the guy says. After I worked on it runs beautifully. Has some chips along the front edge and on the pillar on right. I just assumed the machine was at least serviced. Actually electrically it was unsafe. Didn't think he could do that. I'm sticking to other means of finding machines in future. Course, I don't really want anymore. Have all I could have asked for. The Singer 128 Long bobbin was the last I really wanted. I think that's how I let myself get carried away, with his salesmanship. After the dirt was cleaned I could see the worn decals and chipped paint.

Kit Kat
Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Don't know if you got my reply. Not used to navigating this site yet. Thanks for your reply. Yes, your right, he didn't rip me off. I didn't know what was a fair offer, and assumed the machine was in better condition than it was. thought he'd at least service the inside of machine and that the electrical was safe and properly done. It was not. Motor was ready to burn out, light has cut in cord and bare wire showing where motor mount was against it. No doubt to keep cord away from belt. Anyway, wasn't up to snuff and got carried away, cause machine was the one I had been looking for and I though the guy was being honest with me when he said I could convert it to a hand crank if I wanted, but that the electrical was perfect and I might want to leave it that way. Good job my husband and I checked it over when I got it home. My husbands an Electrician and Electric Motor Repairman. He and another guy own their own business. Couldn't tell decals were that worn and machine had all those chips in the paint because it was so dirty looking. However, most decals are still there. Chrome parts are clean and some shined up real well. I have a hand crank on it now. In fact had just gotten crank that day, and went into guys shop to get a mounting screw for it, as it had none with it. Anyway, I have my Singer 128 Long bobbin and I love using it. They are so easy to use. No fuss not muss. It's cleaned and serviced now.

Kit Kat
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 AM

*** Hi! Y'all from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Welcome from the Oregon High Desert! I have the love of old machines needing caring hands too. You will find members here are a treasure trove of information.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Getting that cabinet 99 for free evens out the over priced 128. Cabinets for 3/4 size machines aren't very common. Not really rare, but you don't see them every day. It sounds like you did a good job bringing the 128 back to life, good for you. It's always a good feeling of accomplishment to take a wreck of a machine and bring it back to working condition. That repairman could be shady, or maybe he had just gotten the machine and didn't know himself how bad it was. Now you know to slow down and ask some questions before you jump right in. Believe me, you aren't the only person who's done this. I know I've paid more than I should have for a few of my machines, but the heart going pitter patter upon first sight makes it hard to stop myself sometimes. I figure with the machines I've gotten for free or real cheap it all evens out in the end.

Cari
Old 04-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming. I really look forward to getting to know you all and for sharing all the great information you have. Thanks Cari for the boost of confidence and for making me feel I'm not alone and for the congrats on getting the machine working so great. It did feel like an accomplishment and made it all worth while. I will treasure this machine, as much as the others. Another one that didn't end up in the landfill. Yes, I was very lucky to get that 99K for free. The cabinet isn't the best cosmetically but it's solid and holds the machine fine. the veneers had started to peel on the sides and the top looks as though someone tried to strip it at some point along the edges, or it's just from exposure, but the rest of the top is good. Same as the machine. Chipped up a bit, but decals are all fine on it and japaned finish is OK except for chipped areas. It's serial # is for 1957, the year of my birth. I agree, I will be more cautious and slow down if there is a next time. This one took me off guard and I was so surprised he had that machine and I made assumptions I shouldn't have. It's been a pleasure chatting with you and Hi there back from upstate South Carolina, and thanks for the welcome from Oregon High Desert. glad to know you love old machines too!

Take Care All
Kit Kat
Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 AM

Welcome from Arizona! I've found some great deals before but have made a couple of purchases I regretted before checking them out well enough. I guess it all balances out!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB