Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a move to Wichita, KS area, please help!!!! >

Making a move to Wichita, KS area, please help!!!!

Making a move to Wichita, KS area, please help!!!!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 AM

He is a crew chief on the KC-135 (big gas station in the sky) for the air force. A crew chief is basically a mechanic so he has his civilian licence to do the same thing and wichita, ks is the air capital of the united states. Boeing, spirit, and lots of other plane manufacturers are there along with many airlines so it's the best place for him to continue doing his job!

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I had a niece who was living in TX so my SIL decided to sell her house and move to TX to be near her DD and DGD. Before her house sold, they were transferred. I wonder why your son would stay in Wichita as it's rather barren out there. I have been in that area many times and I sure hope you are happy there.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:34 AM

ooohhhh thanks, i'll check that out!!

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
I don't know where Hays, KS is in relationship to Wichita; but the Quilt Cottage is a place where I could spend an entire day in absolute quilter's heaven. It is at 2520 Vine St. in the Centennial Mall. I live in Colorado, but a friend and I are planning a day trip, about three hours drive, to this wonderful shop. Wishing you a safe move.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 AM

Wow, my husband will be very excited about the historical part! We actually drove through the Flint Hills when we drove down one time, it was beautiful! very different landscaping than we're used to in upstate ny!!

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Welcome to Kansas from a native Kansan! Don't know when you are moving--but if you are in Overland Park (suburb on the KS side of KC) Jun 15-17, the KC Regional Quilt Fest is happening at the Overland Park Convention Center. AS already mentioned, KC is only about 1hr south of Mo. Star Quilt Co in Hamilton, MO. KC and Wichita are both metropolitan areas with all that has to offer. Also, regardless of what you maybe learned in history, the Civil War started in eastern KS with "Bleeding Kansas" in 1850's so there's many historical sites, and several towns have festivals throughout the year. Ever been to a rodeo? You'll be able to go to one in KS during the summer/fall months. MacPherson has a Scots Highland Festival every year, plus Wichita has their Riverwalk with different events throughout the summer. Also, keep in mind that KS is the center of the USA! And while some my see our geography as "barren"--there is nothing more awe inspiring than driving thru the Flint Hills--you can easily image traveling via covered wagon as you travel through them. And you will want to see the burning off of the prairie grasses in the spring. But the best part? we are a very friendly people!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 AM

Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to the day I can look at Kansas and feel the way you do about it!!

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I I wish I was in your shoes!!! If I didn't love my daughters so much I would return in a heart beat. My dad was raised in Wellington, KS and worked for Boeing in Wichita - we lived in Mulvane. Boeing transferred us to Seattle. My dad said it was a good move since there were no tornados in WA - we were in Seattle area maybe a month when they had a tornado..... My grandparents and aunt and uncle and other family members lived in various parts of KS. There isn't one day since the day we left that I haven't wanted to move home. (My mother was born in Burlington, KS and raised in Emporia - they met at KU.)

My mother always said I had a "romantic" view of Kansas, but when I go back I always feel like I am home. My aunt, my mom's sister, has be PhD in biology from UCLA - she inherited the family home and lives there 6 months out of the year, the other half she is LA because that is where her children are. She understands how I feel. I go back as often as I can - at least once a year to put flowers on the family graves.

The Flint Hills is the oldest mountain range in the US. They are beautiful and the wild flowers are always beautiful. My grandfather once said whenever he was traveling (they always took a long vacation in the summer since he was a teacher) he knew when he was back in KS by the way be was treated at the filling stations. People always talked to him. And you could tell where the people were from if they are driving their own car, because the county is identified on the license plate. So if you are friendly, they will be friendly too. Probably why you son wants to stay there.

My sister worked at the newspaper in Burlington after she graduated from college - she was left go when she became engaged back in 1975, but she was planning to move back to Ellensburg WA to be closer to our parents, but not too close.

Okay, I will stop, I am still very envious and hope your move goes well and you are happy.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:28 PM

I think the Quilt shows held every two years are the best I've ever seen---and the shopping is out of this world. There is a large quilt guild that must be heaven to belong to. You will be happy with the Quilting part of Wichita---and I hope also the other parts of your life there......
Old 05-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I wonder why your son would stay in Wichita as it's rather barren out there. I have been in that area many times and I sure hope you are happy there.
People live in different places for different reasons. I have several friends in Kansas who love it there. I think the OP can be very happy there near her son. For me, it would be more about the people than the place itself. The most beautiful place on earth can be awful to live in if you don't like the people. BTDT
Old 05-13-2017, 12:26 PM

I do not live in Wichita, Kansas now, but during my junior (middle) school and high school years (oh, so many years ago) , my family lived in Wichita. Wichita was at that time and I'm sure is now, a much larger town that we were used to, but we learned our way around. There are a lot of cultural events, fairs and things that took place there, back in the late 1950's, early 1960's to February of 1963. I attended Wichita High School North, and it has such an aura of history -- it's a beautiful, historic building, and I trust it's still there. I married in 1963, and I have not lived in Wichita since then -- we moved to East Texas where my husband attended college, and eventually moved to Florida in 1967. Despite some disadvantages (and there are disadvantages anywhere you live) we've come to love Florida, and as much as I hate to move, I don't think it's likely that I would return to Arkansas where I was born and raised -- I can't take the cold weather, and despite the fact that, yes, we do have deep summer days which are hot, we don't usually have snow in the winter, and the hurricanes I heard mentioned -- well they're a lot less frequent than the tornadoes, etc. which occur in other places, yes, even in the mountains of my home state, Arkansas. I know that Wichita did, back in the early 1960's, have local bus service to the downtown area, and I'm sure to other areas of the city. I worked part-time after school, and caught the bus not far from my school (at that time, the bus fare was minimal). Of course, I'm sure there have been lots of changes in Wichita as there have been across the country. The only thing I can say, is where you make your home is up to you. Home is where the heart is, and if your family is in Wichita, that's where I think I'd want to be! JMHO

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-13-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: additional word
Old 05-15-2017, 03:57 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your story! We actually had someone come and look at our house in NY yesterday so things are moving forward. We'll be kansas bound before we know it!!

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I do not live in Wichita, Kansas now, but during my junior (middle) school and high school years (oh, so many years ago) , my family lived in Wichita. Wichita was at that time and I'm sure is now, a much larger town that we were used to, but we learned our way around. There are a lot of cultural events, fairs and things that took place there, back in the late 1950's, early 1960's to February of 1963. I attended Wichita High School North, and it has such an aura of history -- it's a beautiful, historic building, and I trust it's still there. I married in 1963, and I have not lived in Wichita since then -- we moved to East Texas where my husband attended college, and eventually moved to Florida in 1967. Despite some disadvantages (and there are disadvantages anywhere you live) we've come to love Florida, and as much as I hate to move, I don't think it's likely that I would return to Arkansas where I was born and raised -- I can't take the cold weather, and despite the fact that, yes, we do have deep summer days which are hot, we don't usually have snow in the winter, and the hurricanes I heard mentioned -- well they're a lot less frequent than the tornadoes, etc. which occur in other places, yes, even in the mountains of my home state, Arkansas. I know that Wichita did, back in the early 1960's, have local bus service to the downtown area, and I'm sure to other areas of the city. I worked part-time after school, and caught the bus not far from my school (at that time, the bus fare was minimal). Of course, I'm sure there have been lots of changes in Wichita as there have been across the country. The only thing I can say, is where you make your home is up to you. Home is where the heart is, and if your family is in Wichita, that's where I think I'd want to be! JMHO
Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 AM

Any updates on your anticipated move? I've enjoyed reading about your plans and about that part of Kansas, too. I've never been there.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I'm from Utica but have lived in Columbus for many years.
I wish you all the best with your move!!