April - Boom 18

Old 05-29-2017, 03:10 PM

Terri 8 bindings to do??? I do all mine by machine (front and back)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:22 PM

Me too Kass..I cant imagine doing the front by hand. The couple that does my quilting said they would put the binding on for $15 but I dont mind binding at all. Not sure I would want to have 8 to be waiting though! Not sure if its allergies or just cold but been coughing, sneezing, sore throat, runny nose since Fri. Glad I had a free weekend to try to get rid of it. Cut out a new pattern called starry path to see if I liked it and ended up cutting 20 blocks and sewing them. Just finished the last one. Now to figure out how to set them in a quilt.
Janice Im so sorry about your BIL..Waiting is the hardest part of any procedure, esp for the family waiting. prayers that he gets the surgery quickly. I heard an ad for Univ of Kansas the other day that says they can replace valves now with the same procedure they use for heart caths, thru the artery on a wire...amazing how far they have come!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 PM

Has anyone heard from Moonwork on her Hippie Quilt?? When I go back and look at pictures the one of the hippy beatles crossing Abbey Road always makes me laugh! Sure would love to see it finished!!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Kass, sorry you are having to go through all that saline waterboarding... but it should be good for your sinuses. My friend tried to talk me into a yeti pot once and I was just too chicken to pour water up my nose.

Janice, yikes-- how scary for your BIL. It all seems to be working out well tho... at least he's not off alone somewhere when the big one hits. Hope whatever they do for him will take care of that forever.

Your quilt is really going to be beautiful. I'm glad you went with that green... it's lovely. Love how you did the wide sashing too. I'm going to have to ask you more about that when I get ready to try it. Or... you could post a tutorial.

GramE I'm looking forward to BOOMing with you next time around. We should be in the same group this time, because I'm planning to join all the groups! Your work is always wonderful.

So... chiggers. (My middle name.) I think the only way to avoid them is to coat your legs with insect repellant (which I hate). Also, if you can tolerate the chemicals, it doesn't hurt to spray the yard with some good outside anti-bug stuff. I'm planning to do that up front, where I put my little garden bench. Bought myself a sitting bench to enjoy the front yard with the doggie, and can't stand to sit there for more than a few minutes due to the skeeters, etc. Then soon I realize I've also been eaten by chiggers.

Terri, 8 quilts? Seriously? You are really getting the hang of that long arm machine! Soon you'll be doing other people's quilts, I'll bet.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
I heard an ad for Univ of Kansas the other day that says they can replace valves now with the same procedure they use for heart caths, thru the artery on a wire...amazing how far they have come!
Wow! That's amazing. That would be so much better than open heart surgery!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:26 AM

Janice sorry to hear about your BIL sending prayers and well wishes. Quilt coming along great and looking wonderful. And i totally agree with Kass on the chiggers

Yeah !! GramE

terri would love to see all your quilts

Kass napping is good, near drowning not so much Huggs
Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 AM

I did finish the binding on one quilt last night but like a dummy I sewed it to the front first so you can see a wiggly line where I sewed the back down. Today I hope to finish another one, cut up yardage into 2.5" strips just need to sew them togther and start the binding caravan.

marietta these are mainly charity tops sent to me to be quilted. I need to add borders to my last boom and quilt it and piece the back for my grand daughters's quilt. Not sure on how I will quilt it, blocks are rectangles not squares

I have also tried a Nettie pot and it wasn't my thing either.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM

GramE, so glad to hear that you're joining us on the next Boom! Love, love, love your blocks!
Janice, I'll be keeping your BIL in my prayers. Hope he gets fixed up good as new.
Kass, feel better. Just give yourself time to get there.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:08 PM

BIL's surgery is early Thursday am. They're definitely going to crack his chest. (I was shocked to read they do put in some valves as Joan described!) He's in good spirits and so ready for it after days of complete bed rest. I hear he's longing for a shower but that's a way off. First things first.

Haven't been able to get back to my quilt. Maybe tomorrow.

Boom 19 is creeping into my thoughts on a daily basis. Sign-ups will start in a few weeks. A few Boom related items now. First, I'm happy to take on new people to the Boom who are experienced quilters as well as those who are newbies to quilting. That being said, I'm going to remind everyone that our goal is a 12 1/2 inch 100 percent cotton block with 1/4 inch seam allowances and about 12 stitches per inch, no less, more if you prefer. If you don't measure for your own quilts, checking block size as you go, you will be asked to do so for the Boom. If you are used to stitching with a longer stitch length, you will be asked to decrease it for the Boom. There are still a few weeks before sign-ups so anyone needing a little help with quilting basics, please talk to your quilty friends or use your favorite search engine to get answers to questions you may have. In the meantime, you can refer to post number one on this thread for the basics of how a Boom works. The rules for Boom 19 might be somewhat different but only in details. And for those who aren't aware, I won't knowingly take on a swapper with what I consider to be a poor swap history. We've had 100 percent completion in the Booms for over three years now and I'd like to keep it that way. That all being said, I'm getting a little excited to start Boom 19. Soon, Boomers!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Yea, Janice!! So ready for Boom 19.