Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels for quilts-- embroider or print??? >

Labels for quilts-- embroider or print???

Labels for quilts-- embroider or print???

Old 06-05-2017, 06:37 AM

I've used fabric sheets for years, love them for pictures but I saw a quilt with all the information embroidered onto the binding!!! Was such an awesome idea and looked so cool!
If you set the ink on the fabric sheets after printing and they are dry with an iron, then you can let cool and do the cool water and air dry.. You will see if the ink has set, water will be clear.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 PM

I put all my info in the binding. I use the built in fonts on my Janome 6500. Fold your binding in half and I stitch in the info on it with the folded side towards the inside of the machine. I use embroidery thread. Put the binding on as usual and sew it either by hand or machine. This way all the info is there,no can take the quilt and rip off the label. I have been doing this for years and it is so much easier for me to do.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:27 PM

I don't have an embroidery machine and I'm not very good at lining up the fonts that my machine has to make my label on my machine and have it look good. I guess if I practiced the results would become better.

However, a local quilt shop will make an embroidered label for me for $10 or $15 in my choice of font, design and colours of thread. The labels always look great!! For me this is a terrific option and takes a lot of the stress away especially when the quilt is a gift.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by gshalom View Post
I bought an embroidery machine for just this purpose, a Janome 500. With this machine not only do I do labels, but I've used it to quilt a full and queen size quilt. I had to find more use for such an investment. Now, if I could figure a way to sew the label ON with the machine....I can't hand sew worth a darn and I know the label will come off after a few washings. Right now I sew it on a corner, anchored in the sewing of the binding but I don't like leaving the one edge unsewn.....it's a real ""toe catcher"!
I sew mine on entirely by machine catching the raw edges with attaching the binding and then use matching thread or invisible thread to straight stitch the rest. Most of the time it blends right in with the quilting and you don't even see it without looking for it.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:12 AM

I've embroidering my label for good forty years! It's great it doesn't fade or go anywhere. I embroidered on my backing Fabric! If anybody wants to rip, it will leave mark or hole!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 AM

I use my printer and special fabric to print my labels. My daughters wash my grand kids's quilts many times and are not really careful how they wash. The printing has faded but considering how the quilts are handled it is OK. Are you looking for an excuse to buy a embroidery machine and will you use it for other things. No excuse needed.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I use my printer and special fabric to print my labels. My daughters wash my grand kids's quilts many times and are not really careful how they wash. The printing has faded but considering how the quilts are handled it is OK. Are you looking for an excuse to buy a embroidery machine and will you use it for other things. No excuse needed.
LOL-- no, not looking for an excuse, though I appreciate your no excuse needed sentiment.

I had been happily printing my labels on fabric meant for ink jet printing and heat setting them with my iron. Then one day I read the package instructions that said to do the heat setting and also another kind of treatment if they were going to be washed. Reading further in the label it said that even with both treatments the printed items should be washed in cold water only and No detergent. That's what made me start thinking about embroidering them instead.

Glad to to hear that your printed labels have held up to washing--- I think for now I'll stick to printing my labels and maybe playing around with the fonts on my sewing machine. I'm wondering if the instructions I read were maybe geared more toward people who are printing color photos on their quilts rather than black and white labels.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 06-07-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:54 PM

I agree! that seems too much information for me to give out to who knows who will get a hold of the quilt!
Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I don't understand why you would want your name, address, phone number and e-mail address on on quilt label if you hare giving the quilt as a present. Did I miss something??
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34 PM

I love using my embroidery machine to make labels for my quilts. I also use designs for pillow cases, quilts, and designs on anything I can place one on to make it look nice. I think the labels make the quilt more professional.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 PM

I agree that a professionally-embroidered label makes the quilt appear more professional, but I also think that we all have to look at the professional vs. economical impacts -- I cannot afford to purchase an embroidery machine, period. With the quilts I've got on my plate right now, neither can I afford to have labels made. So, regardless of those issues, I do think it's important that we label our quilts. I do the best that I can, but I don't make quilts for a living; in other words, I'm not paid -- my quilts are made with love, and I would guess that most of us make our quilts with love. Please know -- I'm not criticizing anyone -- I'm just stating my circumstances. If I have time to embroider the backing, I'll do that, but time is frequently a limiting factor as well.