Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The fabric says "50/50 cotton/ polyester"... >

The fabric says "50/50 cotton/ polyester"...

The fabric says "50/50 cotton/ polyester"...

Old 06-12-2017, 06:07 AM

when students ask about mixing fabrics, I show them a picture of one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen - a very old crazy quilt that included velvets, laces and bits of the grandfather's wool jacket. You can use any fabric you wish. It is just that some require a bit more attention. Examples are knits require stabilizing and laces require backing. I am not one who believes in prewashing EXCEPT when mixing fabrics. Then I would prewash everything so they have a level playing field. Have fun with it and great deal!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
\ Remember that the poly content makes the fabric more stable therefore a little less pliable. For example, cotton will ease together if pieces are a little off. Poly ripples when eased and the ripples don't press out as easily as cotton.
My problem with p/c fabric. It simply has no ease. Your pieces have short seams so that may not be an issue. I would prefer to mix it with a prewashed all cotton fabric just to have a few places that can be eased should it be necessary. Pretty fabrics.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM

My comment on using a serger is about the same....impossible for little pieces but i've used my serger a lot for sewing the borders on and it trims as you go......i have a 4 thread babylock serger, it's 17 yrs. Old and still in good shape.....i hope, my 20 yr. Old g-son sleeps in my sewing room for now so i haven't used it much in the last yr.......i hope he moves out again very soon......lol.......