Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
By the pound?? >

By the pound??

By the pound??

Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mirish2 View Post
...........There are lots of fabrics, patterns, etc. Her husband wants to have a sale.............
Some further thoughts since my earlier comments ...
... Some of the suggestions we have all made are somewhat dependent on what "lots of" really means? What is lots to one, is a mere pittance to another! That true quantity should temper your decisions as to what would be best.

... What are her husband's expectations? Is there enough for a sale? You want to be sure he is in the real world, as to what the outcome may be. After all your work you do not want him to be disappointed, and risk a friendship, all because he expected more! Better that he be shockingly and pleasantly surprised with the success!

... What is the norm in the community where you will be hosting the sale? I'm all for going your own independent way on the how to, but you need to make sure that others understand what will be happening, and not stay away, just because they don't think it is their sort of a thing.

... Whatever pricing you go with, keeping it to $5-$10-$20 per, sure makes for easier mathematics on the spot, as well as easier requirements in making change for the purchases.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I vote on weighing by the pound. The price is very reasonable.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks for your input. The sale will not be until the end of July, I'm hoping her husband is more ready to let things go at that point. I agree that $12 per pound is high, but he keeps saying "look at how much money, she has tied up in all of this." We do plan to control # of people, letting them sign up ahead of time for a slot, because this will be in the lower level of their house, there is not room for a lot of people at one time.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

If I remember correctly, "regular" quilting cotton weighs between 3.5 to 4.5 ounces per yard.

You could try selling the fabric at $3 to $4 per yard - which does not seem as "expensive" as $12 a pound.