Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steam distorts the fabric? >

Steam distorts the fabric?

Steam distorts the fabric?

Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM

I say do what makes you happy. I use a dry iron as I go then when my block
is finished I press with a damp cloth. That's what makes me happy.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy View Post
I use steam until the iron runs dry, then I don't
Ditto. Guess it doesn't matter to me or I'd notice. So usually it's a dry iron. When I'm finished with all the ironing, I like to turn it right side up, spritz it, and carefully press, not iron.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Steam-pressing is great. By experience, movement with steam stretch my fabric enough very small piecing did not match.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I always tell my classes that it's not the iron that causes the problems, it's the "ironer".
Exactly my feelings as well.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:37 PM

I know lots of people are talking about ironing vs pressing and the distortion that can happen, but I've had shrinkage happen with steam. I learned my lesson the hard way when binding and attaching a hanging sleeve on a customer quilt. The customer had given me a very small piece of fabric to use for the sleeve. I cut it, then pressed it with steam. And it shrunk so much I was not comfortable using it for the sleeve. So I steam-pressed the rest of the fabric and crossed my fingers that there would be enough left to cut a second sleeve. (I was lucky; there was.)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Does any one remember when we use to dampen cloths and put them in the fridge overnight in a plastic bag? I don't know why. My guess would be that it releases and softens wrinkles so they press better.

I like to press almost dry fabric too.
we didn't dampen cloths, we were dampening & starching shirts for our men using seven=up bottles with sprinkle heads . Especially those heavy oxford white shirts. It relaxed the hard wrinkles and allowed the starch to penetrate the cotton fibers without using a heavy amount of starch. And the shirts were much easier to iron. I loved to iron , but my mother hated it....so when perma press came out, my mother tossed out all cotton and replaced them. (I thought the perma press shirts looked thin and cheap and insisted they still needed ironing....but mom said "not in my house". To bad....I still iron/starch my hubby's shirt and when my daughter's husband was called to serve in the bishopric, she came over for "serious" ironing lessons. LOL
Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Does any one remember when we use to dampen cloths and put them in the fridge overnight in a plastic bag?
Nope, I'm not that old.

*Ducks and runs for cover from the incoming objects being hurled at me*
Old 06-26-2017, 12:45 PM

I have had both shrinking and bleeding happen when I steam (mostly reds and intense blues), so now I prewash.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
My Mom had a 7-Up bottle that she had a sprinkler stopper for and would sprinkle clothes and then put into a large bag and into the refrig (keep in mind most of us had refrigs that had no space and often the "freezer" was stuck in there and hardly separate!) and she always told me it was too keep the dampened clothes fresh and not allow mildew. Think it was also left overnight so that the dampness would spread and thus the sprinkling did not have to saturate the clothes so much.
My mother did the same and said it was to prevent mildew also. I still remember the sprinkle bottle.