Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Okay, I'll bite.... >

Okay, I'll bite....

Okay, I'll bite....

Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 AM

I like doing this on smaller than bedsize...like placemats, runners....
Old 07-01-2017, 04:40 AM

Jen at Shabby Fabrics.com gives a good demo on making a baby receiving blanket with self binding. I'm making some for a new g niece. Jen gave fabric amounts, but did not tell you that the top needs to be 30"x30" and the backing 40"x40" (only a square will work the way she does her blanket,) she only stated that the top was 30" and the back 40". Birthing and envelope quilts are the same in my opinion. Zozee your answer is the best yet. Thanks for the morning giggle.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I like doing this on smaller than bedsize...like placemats, runners....
I agree. It works well on something this size but doing it on a larger piece I find to be a problem getting it to be flat enough to actually quilt. If you are tying it, works best rather than quilting once the piece is turned.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I have birthed a quilt. After birthing it then I tied it. I stitched the opening closed but then also bound the quilt. Turned out cute. I have forgotten over the years (decades) how many quilts I have made and repaired. More than I thought.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:03 AM

When you have your layers ready to birth, you have the inside on the outside and the outside on the inside. So you want to turn that around so that the inside is on the inside and the outside is on the outside! ! ! !
I don't know why it is called "inside out". I think it should be called "Right side out".
Old 07-01-2017, 06:38 AM

[QUOTE=meyert;7854654]here is another one

[URL]http://www.hgtv.com/videos/birthing

Thanks for posting this site. My mind always goes blank when I have to birth a quilt. I can never remember if the top and bottom go together, batting in the middle, etc. Now I've saved this video link on my computer so I can remind myself the method,
Old 07-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

What you want "hidden" is on the "outside" when you sew the three layers together.

I am not fond of this method, either. It's a bother to get all the layers straightened out so it lays nicely.

It's a tug of war on a crib size quilt. I don't even want to think about it on a bigger sized quilt.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I don't know why it is called "inside out". I think it should be called "Right side out".
Might just be your region, we say "right side out" here.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:38 AM

I have used the Method mentioned above many times for Baby Quilts, Potholders and Mug Rugs.. Made 2 non pieced baby Quilts in one day to go to 2 different baby showers.. Used width of fabric and 1 1/2 yard length - Trimmed off salvage. We ( my Mom and I ) just layered top right side up, then the backing wrong side up on top then the batting.. Pinned carefully, sewed 1/2 to 3/4 inch all around leaving about 12 inches open for the Turning. unpin and trim corners if needed. Turn right side out. Smooth out and carefully iron seams, Sew around the entire outside edge about 1/2 inch in from edges. ( you can hand sew the opening too) then we tied them with embroidery Floss about every 4 inches... Babies don't look for perfection just something to cuddle...! ! One was so cute it had Fabric in Crayon colors with umbrella Print on top and the backing was the Raindrop print, other one had a Truck Print and a Plaid on the back in the same colors.( for a Boy ) That was many many years ago..
Old 07-02-2017, 07:48 AM

I didn't know what "birthing of a quilt" meant either. Thank you for all the posts and recommendations. I have used this method before but, like I said, didn't know that is what it was called.