Roll-call... spanking

Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Actually, my kids knew they were "in serious trouble" when I got up and whispered in their faces.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:08 PM

Question for all. I grew up doing a lot of babysitting when I was younger, and spanking was par for the course. I distinctly recall mothers saying to me before they'd leave, if so and so or anyone misbehaves, you are to spank them, and yes, I handed-down a good numbers of spankings as a sitter. I had no problem with it whatsoever.

What was your experience as a babysitter in relation to spanking?

Do want to add that I'm going all the way back to the late 60's and through the 70's, but still, I can't believe how namby-pamby society has become over the past 2-3 decades.

Note, I don't consider those who don't agree with spanking as being namby-pamby, just the direction that society has taken in regard to the lack of control I see today. People are becoming more and more wild and out of control.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Actually, my kids knew they were "in serious trouble" when I got up and whispered in their faces.
I remember putting spankings off until we got home sometimes, and I think the child acted worse once they knew they were doomed. I'm convinced I would have been better off to hand-down the spanking right then and there and get it over with.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:14 AM

Yes-I had three boys, and did a lot of yelling. When they were a little older they recorded me, and played it back for me. I was so ashamed. I think I got better, but I'm sure there was still some yelling, lol.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
Question for all. I grew up doing a lot of babysitting when I was younger, and spanking was par for the course. I distinctly recall mothers saying to me before they'd leave, if so and so or anyone misbehaves, you are to spank them, and yes, I handed-down a good numbers of spankings as a sitter. I had no problem with it whatsoever.

What was your experience as a babysitter in relation to spanking?

Do want to add that I'm going all the way back to the late 60's and through the 70's, but still, I can't believe how namby-pamby society has become over the past 2-3 decades.

Note, I don't consider those who don't agree with spanking as being namby-pamby, just the direction that society has taken in regard to the lack of control I see today. People are becoming more and more wild and out of control.
This isn't exactly a baby sitting story, but it's what babysitter do nowadays I think.

The other week I parked my car outside a daycare center playground. All the children were playing around, with two adults sitting there 'watching' them. I did my errands and then half an hour later headed back to my car. Right in front of me, on the other side of the iron railed fence was a little boy, about three years old, pushing a little girl about the same age hard up against the fence and totally bullying her. The sitters didn't seem to notice him, but I know they noticed me. I looked at the boy square in the eye and said "I hope you aren't being naughty?" He knew what I meant and backed off. I kept an eye on him the whole time I started the car and drove off. He "shriveled" so to speak under my eye, and he knew he had been caught. I did the block and drove by to see if he back at being a bully to the little girl, and he had stopped. It saddened me to see that, if I hadn't stopped him, he would have totally gotten away with it.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM

This is so sad. When I was little and was beat like that. When I started having kids, I was so afraid that'd I'd be the same way that I'd either make my husband discipline them or I'd send them to thier room until I calmed down enough to deal with it. They just always thought I put them on time out, which in a way I guess I did, but the time out was for me.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
This is so sad. When I was little and was beat like that. When I started having kids, I was so afraid that'd I'd be the same way that I'd either make my husband discipline them or I'd send them to thier room until I calmed down enough to deal with it. They just always thought I put them on time out, which in a way I guess I did, but the time out was for me.
I commend you for sending your kids to their room to allow yourself time to settle down before dealing with them. I did the same at times, sometimes I'd have a cigarette to calm down before warming their bottoms, but most times I just dealt with discipline and punishment as it came... right on the spot. Done and over with.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by jalling View Post
Yes-I had three boys, and did a lot of yelling. When they were a little older they recorded me, and played it back for me. I was so ashamed. I think I got better, but I'm sure there was still some yelling, lol.
Nothing to be ashamed of, I bet 99% of us moms yelled at times.