Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folded over backing for binding? >

Folded over backing for binding?

Folded over backing for binding?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM

I've done it and only recommend it if you're making a small quilt using fleece or minky backing/binding. That works really well.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:21 AM

I do this to bind pot holders and other smaller items. For quilts that are going to be used I like the double thickness binding that is applied separately. It give the quilt more substance around the edges and wears better.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:39 AM

I do it and it works okay, but mostly on things crib size or smaller. For anything larger, I use binding. Less to schlep around while sewing.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I don't because it only provides a single layer of fabric along the edge.
Actually, you can double-bind on a fold-over binding too - just leave the edge a little more than twice as long as you need it and fold & tuck the raw edge of the binding in between the back & the batting before folding the binding over. That's how I always do it; gives a nice full binding and you can't see the extra edge once it's all sewn down, and no raw edges left exposed.

My grandmother brought the backing around to the front on ALL of her quilts, so that's how I learned how to do it. But she used boxy corners; I miter mine. I'm surprised to see people say it's difficult - to me, mitering a folded-over binding is much easier than mitering a standard binding!

It's my favorite way to do binding if I'm using a flannel backing; I tend to use a separate binding if I'm using regular cotton. I love a flannel binding though, it's great for baby quilts to have the soft fuzzy edge.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 AM

I am not an accurate cutter so I really rely on my Go cutter. I use 2.5 most and no longer buy charm squares cause I can use the 5 inch and make my own. Just ordered the 6.5 for a quilt I am currently working on. I find it a real asset and yes, I have dies that I do not use very much but those that I do are worth it.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 AM

I've done it a few times, but I am not very good at it sadly. I did a double fold. The only con I can see is that the binding has to be the same fabric as the back!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM

I have done this on several quilts and like the results. I always let the patters of the quilt make me decide when to use this.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 PM

I've done it but usually on smaller quilts/placemats/wallhangings, or baby blankets.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

What I don't like about it is that it wears much faster than a separate binding. I know from vintage/antique quilts.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM

I've done the double thickness way on several quilts. I made my first quilt for my son when he was a second grader with the back folded to the front. That quilt has been used very very heavily. He is now 19. The binding is still just fine, but I did use a poly/cotton sheet for the backing. I prefer them for backs when possible. They wear like iron.