Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you know what your smoke alarm sounds like? >

Do you know what your smoke alarm sounds like?

Do you know what your smoke alarm sounds like?

Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM

The previous owner's of our house apparently had an obsession with smoke alarms. There were about 6 when we moved in. We've taken the batteries out of some of them, because we got tired of the annoying chirping when the batteries ran low. We have a fairly large house but not large enough to need all the alarms there used to be here.

We also had a carbon monoxide alarm in the garage when we moved in. We had to disconnect it. I was driving my 66 Mustang daily then and it set the alarm off every time I tried to warm it up in the morning.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 PM

We have 7 in our house (3 levels and law requires one in each bedroom) and yes, i know too well what they sound like! VERY loud. Ours had been hardwired in house since it was built 20 yrs ago and about 5 yrs ago they kept doing the chirping bit--after changing batteries(backup) repeatedly (ever notice how they usually chirp at 2am??) I finally called the electrician and asked what was causing that--he asked when we lasted replaced the actual alarm. He was flabbergasted that we had the original--said they should be replaced every 5-8yrs as the element gets weaker and not save. So DH and I replaced them--what an expensive hassle. But we live in country with volunteer fire crew and would lose the entire house before they got here.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 PM

Mine is hard wired and 24 years, but it works very well and is very loud. I intensely dislike the sound of the CO detector alarm as does one of my dogs. Recently it had a low battery and drove both of us crazy. I took the battery out, but will remember to buy a new before heating season.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Absolutely! We test regularly, have several escape plans, and meeting spots, depending on which way we have to exit. We have had two fires, and those alarms worked exactly as they should...loud and clear! Chirping batteries don't bother me at all. Fortunately both fires were confined to the laundry room, and everyone was safe, with minimal damage.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 AM

Oh Yeah!! Once I put dried beans on the stove to bring to boil, went outside and saw leaves needed to be raked...forgot about the stove being set to hi..kept hearing this "whining" noise that I thought was a leaf blower up the street. Finally remembered the stove--my house was filled with smoke. I tho't I would die--couldn't get a breath to carry the pot into the yard...I got smoke into my lungs and it hurt so very bad..I know now what it would feel like to die of smoke inhalation. Had to get those 'smoke eraser' candles for all over my house. Terrible! Such an idiot was I.!
Old 08-08-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by marge954 View Post
Oh yeah. The one in our bedroom seems to use batteries like they are free. I can't stand the chirp, chirp sound it makes when it goes to low battery so I keep batteries handy. I cook a lot and set the one in the living room off quite a bit DH can't hear squat so if the smoke alarm went off during night I'll have to grab him by the arm and drag him out.
And why do they always signal low battery at 3am? BTW, before I sold my condo a couple of years ago I replaced the smoke alarms with ones that had lithium batteries ... battery life several years.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Even worse than the low battery chirping in the middle of the night is when it happens in your bedroom and the detector is so high you need a large ladder to reach it. We had to sleep on our reclining sofa the rest of the night and got some help the next day to replace the battery.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM

As Endora said, "painfully piercing" and steady
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Yes, it's loud scary screech. I've only activated it with cooking fortunately.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Testing fire alarm batteries should be a once a month regular chore according to the directions that come with the fire alarm. Then you will know what it sounds like.